• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce re-power with Cummins 8.3 from 931A2

GoinNutts

I have a pretty nice bobbed deuce(avatar pic) and a 931A2. With CA's BS smog laws I don't believe I will be able to register the 931 here (any input would be appreciated). My Deuce is registered and I am contemplating dumping the drive train and P/S from 931 into the Deuce???? Not a lot of info on the 8.3 Cummins but from what I read I believe it has the same Bosch IP as the 5.9 and you can turn up the pump and add intercooler. I looked around SS to see what is being/been done and have not seen this idea kicked around. Has anyone seen or done this? Is the 8.3L as good as the 5.9L? :?:

seano11

P7100 pump and yes it's a really good engine for power. We have several at work as water trucks one is cranked way up and doesn't burn much fuel. One of the none cranked up ones will burn 80 gallons a day doing nothing. Most of the stuff you can do to the 5.9 can be done to the 8.3

Dieselholic92

I would like to see one done. The 8.3 will be just as reliable as a 5.9. I'd like to do the same swap, but it just depends on what kind of deal I can find on a motor.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take some measurements since you have both trucks and see if it would even fit. If it does it will be a great project.

gametender

I would love to do this project. It is my goal to build one and add power steering and crank up the fuel pump. Hopefully there will be more people doing these to see how they come out.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a bit of research regarding "turning-up" the pump on a C motor becuase I have one in my FMTV prototype (the picture below my name). I've read and tend to believe (as much as I dare from info on the internet) that there is no problem with swapping the fuel plate... But most people don't mess with the govenor springs (more rpm) because of the increased mass of all the rotating components. OF COURSE there are people "out there" that will pull the motor apart and ballance everything.:cookoo:

HETvet

Here is a question, can a duce be re powered with a cummins big cam 400? Not trying to hijack the OP's thread. The subject of this thread got my wheels turning.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the frame will support the weight of the 400 without making it more beefy. The block is also longer and would have a hard time fitting it without making massive changes. You would be better off using a 5 ton (M923) model fitting that engine. I don't even think the 800 series would work very well, but check around. I know guys have done 400 swaps before.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No kidding. But a nagging question I have is, what is the governed rpm of the 8.3 cummins?
3K rpm gov springs are easy to swap in safely. You could also do a valve spring swap and have the pump worked, 4K springs could go in then....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Really? Wasn't expecting that high.
A 8.3 is really nothing more than a overgrown 5.9. (Yes the bore and stroke are different, but the physical design between the two are very similar.)

While this is a apples to oranges comparison. (This is a 06 5.9 common rail cummins diesel) This is a good testimony to how stout these engines are stock.

I personally would have no concern with a 8.3 with a 4K gov kit and a worked pump with a set of valve springs and a fluidamper out front.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't look like he quite made 5, but that was a WHOLE LOT OF RIBBIES for a diesel! Thanks! for the view of someone else's truck doing that, NOT mine! LOL

God bless,
Tony

welldigger

Hmm I wonder what transmission you could squeeze behind that 8.3. I remember peashooter mentioning someone stabbing a fuller 6 speed behind a cat in an a3. He said it would cruise at 60 something with 14.5/20 tires!