• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce rebuild - clean slate wiring 12v.

DavidWymore

FullSizeRender.jpg

So about the only thing electrical that works on my the '62 M35A1 I am rebuilding is the solenoid and starter, and the wiring for that has been replaced because the original rotted away, as has the rest of the wiring. The starter is the A1 LDS-427 style with the foot button on the floor, bellcrank on the firewall, and lever on the starter to manually engage it. I figure it's worth a couple bucks and am thinking to sell it and get a 12v 39MT. I understand 24v gives more starting power, but it doesn't get cold here, and if it's super hot, I'm not going to be driving it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-my-starter-with-a-gear-reduction-style/page2

https://www.google.com/search?q=39mt+12v&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=39mt+12v&tbm=shop

Fuel pump has been replaced with a 12v Holley pump I had laying around.

Truck has a generator, dunno if it works because the harness is trash. I understand the gen should be replaced with an alternator...I have a few automotive 12v 10SI alternators around.

I don't like that the 24v harness has almost no fuses, and the wires are all the same color, etc...

The harness is rotted/corroded loose at the back of the dash, the generator regulator, whole rear harness is missing, etc. For the wiring, I was thinking to use something from these guys, or building my own:

http://rebelwire.com/

I want to add 12v stuff without hassle, boost/pyro gauges, radio, stereo, phone charger, lights, maybe A/C, tow 12v trailers/brake controller...plus all parts will be available at the corner auto parts store, not special order from a MV vendor.

If the 24 system was in good shape, I'd just run a converter, but if I have to completely rebuild all the electrical....

Hopefully I can change the gauge and light bulbs, etc. to 12. It's missing all the original lights as well, want to convert the mil lights I will be getting to 12v if possible...

It has a 12v turn signal switch from it's previous life on the farm, no telling if it works, but if not, I have one or two more laying around.

Also put a keyswitch on it for kids and some security....I do want to keep the military switches on the dash, if only for appearances, and tuck the 12 stuff, extra gauges too maybe, up along the bottom or something, maybe a flip-down panel.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

turnkey

Where did you find it??? Great to have something to play with...Should keep you off the streets at night for awhile...But it is worth it in the end...Best of luck .

DavidWymore

It was a water truck for a long time at a local hay company that is a long time customer of my family's machine and welding shop, and then was used to water down horse corrals and an arena for long time friends of my grandparents. We bought it and took the tank off and made it into a trailer. My dad had a Reo growing up, and I always wanted one of my own, so here we go!

There is a long and growing thread about it in my signature.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks