• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Recovery and Issue

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my 1966 M35A2 this week in Little Rock, one of the best GL sites I have visited, always great to work with. Used the check list and only found the front differential and transmission a quart short. Added batteries and started right up. Made the 71 mile trip with only one issue, apparently one tire was low and didn't know it, by the time we made it home the valve stem had disappeared? And naturally it is an inside tire on the rear. Once we got home I found out why the front differential was low there is a pretty good leak at the top seal on the diff around the drive flange that faces the front of the truck, also how good is the power steering on a deuce should it be about as easy to turn as on a 5 ton? It has been 30 years since I drove a deuce so I have nothing to judge the easy of steering. I think my ps is weak to non exsitant on the truck right now.
Jzmes G.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The third picture down is the drive unit for the power steering, I dont have a photo of the control unit attached to the steering yet. But is is power steering or power assist, and this truck came right out of a local NG unit.
James G.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck does have air-assist. They are definately different to drive than a truck with regular power steering. You should be able to turn with relative ease though. Check all the lines and make sure it is hooked up correctly.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Driven

There is an air pressure adjustment valve located on the frame in the engine compartment, any idea what it should be adjusted to? The unit looks to be in very good shape, hopefully it will just need adjustment.
James G.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the firewall, there is a bunch of fittings and a valve. Make sure the brass valve is turned on. Then, follow the air line tubing down to the frame, just before it goes THRU the framerail, where you should see a round black thing. The bottom of the cylinder unscrews, exposing what you see in the 2nd pic. Thats a valve that controls the flow of air to the power air assist system..

When turning, do you hear a PSSSTttttt from the drag link? If so, your getting air to it. If not, you need to find why there is no air...

Also, a nice squirt or 2 of air tool oil in the first set of fittings might help lube everything... take off a fitting, give it a squirt and put it back on. Might help things.

Also, you need to change out that front diff seal.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard bad things about that air assist. Delete that system and go back to manual. I'll PM you my addy to send the assist stuff. LOL

beaubeau

I had to drive a 1981 Fruitshaker "Fright-liner", when it was just a few months old with Air assist Power, and I would rather go without, especially if I did lots of Highway driveng. Lack of good control. Phil

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks,

Guys thanks for the info. I have to go up to Indianapolis for the week, but as soon as I get back I am going to dig into the problem. I was wondering if all that copper tubing had anything to do with the steering system. By the way there is no Psst. sound when I turn.
James G.

jasonjc

RE: Thanks,

Come out to my house I have one of each you can drive to get a feel for with and with out. You still got my #?