• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce recovery from FT Stewart

poppop

My Friend bob130ab recently won two Dueces on GL. One was at Warner Robbins abd the other at Fort Stewart. He drove to Robbins and inspected the trucks before the sale. There was only one at Stewart so since it was so close to us he did not inspect but put in a max bid early in the sale at a level he was sure would be outbid. He had a truck picked out at Robbins that he liked. It started and ran fine and had good brakes and tires. Well the day the sale closed no one outbid him on the Stewart truck. That sale closed on time and he had won the truck. He had compitition on the Robbins truck and called me for advice on what to do. He was close to his limit on the truck but still wanted it. Problem was he now had one at Stewart. My advice was if you want that truck bid some more on it. He did and called back in a few minutes to say he still did not have it, what should he do. Well I said, you can't have to many trucks, so if you really want it I would hit it one more time. Some one else must want it to so you probably won't get it. He called back in a few minutes with some choice words for me as he now owned two Dueces.:-D When the EUC's cleared his wife drove him to Robbins and after checking the truck over he drove it home with no problems and was very happy with the truck. Now he was wishing someone had taken the Stewart truck away from him. Last Tuesday I went with him to get the Stewart truck. We checked fluid levels, hooked up jumpers and it fired right up. This truck had singles, all tires very good with a new spare in the rack, new seat covers, good paint, a brand new alternater, every thing worked and even some goodies in the tool box. He was very pleased with this truck and it is now his keeper. The Robbins truck will probably be looking for a new home soon unless I can convince him he needs two dueces to keep his two M817s company.:razz::razz: The pictures are from Stewart.

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

Congrats

I would agree that you can never have too many and should bid low on them all. If you get some you don't want, then that makes for good trading material or spare parts.

I am glad that your truck turned out okay without viewing it. I wish more of mine had.

Derek Taylor

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rock on guys! :beer:

Thanks for posting the pics, I love recovery stories.

maxim

ya well....ya all remember the 7 truck recovery from Indiana to Michigan...some one hit for 7 of them...it is the disease...looks like nice weather down there Loyd. Your buddy looks like he got some nice Green Iron.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A two fisted bidder, now that's serious!:razz:

It does look like nice weather down there, What say we go visit, Rod?

poppop

Mistaken1, my trailer is rated 20'000 lb gross weight but I have had a 24'000 lb payload on it with no problems, just be real careful about stopping. I know thats not a good idea but I was hauling baled tobacco from the farn to market. I pull it with a 98 Chevy 1 ton dually crewcab with the 454 motor and five speed manual transmission. It handles it fine and of course the trailer has good electric brakes.

mistaken1

poppop

Thanks for the info. I have access to a gooseneck rated at 20,000# but the tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton chevy. Not enough truck to pull a duece but should be good enough for an M1009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Lloyd. Bob's motorpool is growing at a faster rate than yours, are you going to adjust?

poppop

Kenny, Bob still has a way to go but he is catching up. I have added two Dueces to my stable that I have not talked about yet. They sat at a military surplus store in Savannah for years until the city ordered him to clean up. He did not comply so the city had them towed. Tow yard owner happened to be a friend of a friend so he told me about them. They were going to get scrapped and I could not stand to see that happen so I saved them. The bodies are in sad shap from sitting for years with leaves and trash in them, But one fired right up and seems mechanically sound with the exception of brakes. The other has a fuel issue and I have not had time to get it started yet. I was pleased when I picked them up that they were A2's and both had air-shift transfer cases. I paid $1000.00 apiece for them, so they are worth more than that for parts, but I intend to use them on the farm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks