• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce recovery gone bad

rhinomike

Went to get my deuce from m-burg, PA today. Checked fluids, fuel, and filters. The truck started right up and ran well. Took the e-brake off and tried to move it. It felt like the the brake was sticking and couldn't get it to move. I freed up the e-brake tried to move it again it fought moving for a second and then nothing. I looked under again and the output shaft was coming out the back of the trans. I still couldn't get the truck to roll with everything in neutral. Anyone seen this before? Do ya think it's the tranny or something else locked up? I was able to pull the rear driveshaft and have it towed home. I have a new tranny to put in, but I don't know what else to look for. I don't want to put a tranny in and blow that one due to something else being broken. Any and all thoughts or suggestions would be great!
Yea, I am new to the deuce/MV world HOWEVER, My daily driver is a 26000GVWR pick up, I'm not new to big trucks, air brakes, etc. I race jeeps offroad proffessionally and am well experienced in the off-road 4WD arena.

thanks for any feedback
mike

illtemper

welcome,I'm new to this as well,but likewise not new to big trucks.
This is an overly simple suggestion ,and I'm sure you know, but.
Seems to me if the axles and transfer case spin freely, and it runs good,it can only be the tranny or clutch.
that's all I got...good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you move the shifter? A worn shift tower will sometimes let the tranny engage 2 gears.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd throw a socket and a ratchet on the output of the transfer and see if it will spin. If it spins in neutral and in gear with the tranny in neutral, then I would say the next step is to check the rear diffs and the tranny.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had a transfer case on a cj-7 jeep that did the same thing, a set screw had come loose allowing high range in 1 axle and low range in the other axle, it felt like it was fighting itself when ever I tried to move. Might be a simple fix.

Sarge

Deuce stuck

Yeah, seen this one many times before.
It happened to me again in January when I picked up my new deuce.
You say you released the e-brake? How? By pushing the handle down?
When these old trucks sit for months or years with the emergency parking brake on, they often stick the brake pads to the rusty drum. It's very common with deuces and any other truck with an unprotected brake.
The way to release a stuck parking brake is to first release the handle.
Then get under the truck and look where the driveshaft comes out the rear of the transfer case. Look closely at the parking brake. Do you see air between the shoes and the drum? No? Then the brake is still on.
Release it using a large screwdriver, a crowbar or a BFH.
Do you see air between the shoes and the drum? Yes? Now the brake is off.
P.S. It's a very good idea to chock the vehicle BEFORE releasing the parking brake.
Ask me how I know.
If you already did all of the above, then my apologies to you. If you did not, don't worry, no one is calling you a moron, I do stuff like that all the time.
The moral of this story:
If you are going to park a deuce for a long time (on a level surface) leave the parking brake off and chock the truck.
-Sarge

rhinomike

RE: Deuce stuck

Sarge,
did all aboved things first, and made sure the brake was free. I couldn't get the truck to roll even with in neutral/ transfer in N and brake off. The tow guy and I removed the first rear drive shaft and he took it home on a wheel lift. Meaning that both set of rears were spinning. Haven't tried to roll it again, yet. I will know more when it goes up on the lift. I have it at my buddies Big truck shop now. I'm guess I'm fishing for and easy fix. I plan on putting in the new transmission and see what happends. I can spin the rear transfer case output, front doesnt spin, But it was in 2WD. The Output shaft on the tranny is pushed out about 2 or 3 inches all but ready to fall out. So......... Maybe transfer case locked and broke tranny??? If the truck rolls freely all wheels on the ground everything in neutral it has to be Tranny or transfer case, if not , it's a bad ring and pinion??? That's all i can think

Srjeeper

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of OD/MV Addiction. I'm the old guy that was at RC last Oct. with the guy's and witnessed you get bitten by the OD bug.
Sorry your first deuce recovery got off to a rocky (pun intended) start, but after seeing you in NEUROC & UROC you'll have this figured out in no time I'm sure.
Hope to see you at RC for the Rally again this year in your own deuce.
Whatever problems you run into will be made much easier by the great bunch of guy's and gals here on SS.

Good luck and again, Welcome :D

FreightTrain

Banned

There is nothing wrong with the axles.If a ring and pinion was scattered it would not have rolled with drive shaft out.Chunks would have locked up the carrier and spiders and you would have known.Might ahve made it a little ways but sooner or later something would have hung unless your one lucky SOB....and in that case buy a loto ticket.If the yoke is not against the transmission then you have a scattered tranny.The main shaft is broke.Buy another tranny and scrap the old one.If it broke bad enough to push the output shaft out the rear then there is a very good chance that it was a spectacular failure and looks like you drop a Frag grenade in the case.And I would also look into buying a transfer case too.Cause if the trans blew and now it won't even roll then that truck more than likely was in motion and came to a sudden stop with the tranny acting as teh brake.The transfer more than likely was damaged.Check all the drive shafts and make sure non got twisted.I figure the axles could take such a beating once or twice.You should be ok there.The drive shaft would have flexed enough to take some of the shock load out.You can replace the tranny and transfer for about 300-400 bucks if you shop around and find someone like wreckerman on here parting out trucks....

rhinomike

illtemper: Air
Bill: Nice to hear from you. No offence to "old guy" just older then mike! 4-5 guys around me got the OD bug 3 of them where with me wiping drool from our faces when you all pulled into rausch creek last fall. we are about 50 miles from RC and plan on many a duece trip beyond the SS fall trip. SS site has been great I've been all over it for the last 8 months so I was ready for mine, and I blow the trans within 10min. I'll let you know when we head out to RC.
Freighttrain: The truck ran fine, It would go into gear and it move about a foot front and back, but felt like it had all the brakes locked up like when you power/brake. I made sure the e-brake was off tried again and it move an inch and then nothing. no loud bang. I let the clutch out and it acted as if in netrual, then noticed output shaft had moved out, it was in when I started. I have not rolled it yet with all 10 wheels on the ground, we wheel lifted from the front and took it home. My thoughts where what made the tanny go? Bad transfer case or bind somewhere? Could the brakes not the e-brake stick like that???? I can spin the transfercase output shaft, when in neutral and 2wd. I'm going to see if it rolls tommorow, and remove the tranny. So my shopping list is Transmission, clutch and pressure plate. Also non of the shafts looked tweeked, I break alot of driveshafts and axle shafts in my rock buggy. nothing but output shaft after the fact. I thought mabey thr front end was/is locked up. who ever parked it also had left it in 4wd.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Check your oils for water contamination, possibly the transfer case had frozen water/oil in it and someone tried to move it and broke something in the transmission. Just a thought.
I bought a transmission that looks like it is a new rebuild but it has a broken input shaft. Who knows how it happened, but it did!
You cannot "dump" the clutch on something that weighs 7 tons without something breaking sooner or later.

kinetichotshot

I am certainly no expert, but i remember reading/hearing that if you don't always go to first gear after reverse then your front axle will still be in reverse... I know that this only pertains to certain axles (Sprag?) but would cause the problems that you were experiencing....
Hope you figure it out and it is simple and inexpensive! Best of luck!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

No.2Diesel

Yes, now I remember you guys. We were BSing in the parking area. You have quite the rig there Mike! The rally is the same Columbus Day weekend this year. Hope to see you there!

Have you spun the input of the transfer case to see if the output spins? Maybe the Tcase has some broken teeth that jammed everything up. Don't get discouraged. There easy to work on atleast.

rhinomike

Found the problem : front brake was stuck fast, It held tight and when i forced it to move it blew the tranny. I got the brake free, the truck rolls and every other part is fine and works except tranny. got a new/used one on the way and a clutch to boot. on the road next week after i pick up the tranny.
thanks for all the help
mike

badgmc56

I have run into this problem before on cars and trucks that have been sitting for a while. If it's just the shoes stuck to the drum, you can hit the drum or the rim with a good sized hammer to free them up. Sometimes the shock will free them up with no damage to rim or drum. If it is a stuck wheel cylinder then the brake adjustment will have to be backed off. You can also open the bleeder to let pressure off if you have a bad brake hose.

rhinomike

We just had to bang a BFH gently on the front wheel and it freed up. wish i did that b/f i forced it. the truck sat for a few months only i didn't think it would freeze like that in that time
the tranny had to be going bad to break like that, it had weak spot AKA output shaft, I wasn't on it that hard when it blew
Anyone near York, Pa (near Harrisburg) have a used tranny, 5 speed overdrive PM me your location and cost and #. I want it by end of next week, truck is taking up space in a buddies shop,
thanks for all the feedback
rhinomike

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a air-shift transfer case? You said it was left with the front end engaged so I assume it is. The driveshafts are supposed to be the weak link in the drivetrain so I bet the trans already had problems to give up that easy.