• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce repair after scrappers got to it.

InfiniteFoamies

Okay so I think I have a bad rear head gasket. I Have a feeling many things will need to changed, The entire gauge cluster is missing. Can it be cranked over without that via the starter switch to do a compression test?

I went to turn it over with a breaker bar but it looks like the radiator would have to come out :-(.

would two group 27 deep cycle batteries with each 750cca be sufficient at least for getting her to turn over?

Is there anything I should know about working on the engine that is specific to a duece?

Thanks guys.

Cruceno

Two group 27's should be plenty of juice to turn it over, assuming it will turn.

Is just the cluster missing? I mean, is just the faceplate missing with the wiring still intact? Or have the wires be scavenged too? I would be more worried if any of the dash wiring has been messed with.

What engine does this truck have in it? Is it the one from your sig?

Last edited:

InfiniteFoamies

the faceplate has been removed, wires cut, there is what appears to be an air line cut right there. Turn signal wand removed with wires cute. There will be a lot of work. It is the one from the sig I am 90% sure about that motor.

*I managed to get the gauge cluster back (long story) but want to do a compression test before I worry about that*

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the transfer case in netrual transmission in 5th and use a bar on the jack shaft to see if the motor is freed up.

Cruceno

Sorry about the run on sentences up there. Not sure what happened to the formatting.

The cut air line will affect your brakes. On the deuce they are air over hydraulic, so not COMPLETELY air, but will still be affected.

Make sure that before you apply any power to the truck you cover all the exposed wires with electrical tape. Cut, bare wires in contact with the negatively charged frame will cause fireworks.

You should also check out the TM for that engine. It'll walk you through a detailed procedure for starting it. You might have to modify the procedure since you're missing some parts.

Last edited:

InfiniteFoamies

Brakes are overrated ;) I did know that, Should have mentioned I work at a shop and know what I am doing when it comes to vehicles; I know about covering exposed wires and such.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you try to turn it over by hand, be sure the shut-off is pulled out.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
even with everything empty of fuel, there could be enough in the IP to cause serious injury. you do not need ANY electricity to start a deuce, just tow it.

Dhallftworth

even with everything empty of fuel, there could be enough in the IP to cause serious injury. you do not need ANY electricity to start a deuce, just tow it.
I would like to point out that pulling the truck to stray it is not recommended, per the TM. Yes, it has been done by some, but if the motor is hydro locked and you roll it over, you're going to be looking for a new block.

InfiniteFoamies

You still might want to bar the motor over before you invest 200 in batteries it's very easy.
Have the batteries sitting around, will still try to bar it over first to check for hydro lock and because i do not know that the electrical system will work.
That is easier said that done, it is in a very tight spot and is not easily removed and put back (especially under tow) and I do not have anything that can tow it on dirt(it's sitting on dirt)
I would like to point out that pulling the truck to stray it is not recommended, per the TM. Yes, it has been done by some, but if the motor is hydro locked and you roll it over, you're going to be looking for a new block.
Yes very high compression (I hope) can destroy it if it's hydro locked.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yes very high compression (I hope) can destroy it if it's hydro locked.
that is just not true, and the manual says lots of things since they are expecting dummies to be operating the truck. the chances of it being locked is beyond rare and even if it was the tires would just slip.

InfiniteFoamies

that is just not true, and the manual says lots of things since they are expecting dummies to be operating the truck. the chances of it being locked is beyond rare and even if it was the tires would just slip.
Okay so I should take stuff like that from the TM's at face value?

How would the tires slip if the transfer case is in neutral?

F18hornetM

Not to be smart but this motor is just about like any other diesel internal combustion engine. What makes you think rear head gasket is blown?
defiantly make sure fuel shut off is off before baring over!! good luck

Last edited:

InfiniteFoamies

Yes just bigger than anything I've worked on and has some slight differences such as multifuel.

"Hydro locking is the same thing as "seizing" an engine. It won't turn over.. Usually happens because of water in the engine or when you run it bone dry out of oil. Basicly water gets in the cylinder and water doesn't combust so it stops the piston straight in its stroke and usually bends a connecting rod or destroys the crankshaft. Basicly it screws up your engine badly, and if you get lucky you can undo the spark plugs/injectors and turn the motor over it'll push the water out and as long as it hasn't rusted the cylinder you can still bring it back to life. Usually happens when a headgasket goes bad (bad bad) or you get water in your gas/fuel." I was told I have a bad headgasket. So I figured I should be concerned. I have never dealt with a bad headgasket on a diesel so I figured it's better to be safe than sorry.

F18hornetM

Usually a seized engine is a "friction" type lock. In other words spun/seized bearings or piston rings stuck to the walls{rust} etc. Hydro locking can be coolant/fuel or oil, but usually coolant. But I have seen all 3 before. [different engines] Getting water in the fuel either gas or diesel may cause it to run like crap or blow tips off injectors etc but doubt it would hydro lock. And running it out of oil will not cause hydro lock either. It will cause bearing damage. cam,rod or main bearing etc , but not hydro lock.
Like you said a liquid has to get between piston and head. I think you meant a liquid will not compress not combust.
Your on the right path to be safe. I would bar over easy and see if concerned. Maybe even pull injectors if really worried. Same as you would on a Gas engine. Just remember these will start with "ignition" off. So make sure fuel shut off is off. Hope this helps Good luck on fixing it up!

Last edited: