• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce reverse light

DEUCE1209

i'm trying to get my m35a2 on the road but i need to put in a reverse light that comes on when the truck is placed in reverse or it won't pass inspection. i know nothing about transmissions. any suggestions? thanks.

Josh

when they asked me about my lack of reverse lights, i told them the truck never came with them and it was the end of that.

instead of trying to rig up some backup lights, just install 2 lights on the back and put a switch to turn them on/off under the dash.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
First would be to have that checked with your local LEO. Most of these inspection places are following a checklist that is made for modern vehicles and older vehicles never had them. I remember my parents 1966 station wagon never had one cause I remember my Mom gripping about not having one when they became standard on more modern cars.

Second, if they insist/persist, rig up a light on a switch.

jimm1009

That like telling you that you must have turn signals and a 2nd tail light on a CJ2A Jeep or a Model A Car. If it passed DOT in that year then it is good to go.

jimm1009

Bill W

1967 was the first year for backup lights on cars and light trucks but my 1995 F-800 didn't come with them nor was required to have them being it was a heavier class vehicle just like the deuce. The only lighting mod I'm going to do on my deuce is to wire the park lights to come on with the headlights., I'm only doing that as a safty factor for running at night, I'll also be adding running (side) lights

Carl_in_NH

The laws should be on-line for you to read and see what you must have in order to be inspected. Folks are correct - it didn't come with them, and therefore shouldn't need them in order to pass a safety inspection - but read the laws; DMV should have a nice list of requirements on their web site. NH did - and that's where I got all my requirement information.

In NH I discovered things that I wasn't expecting - like requirements for a set of reflective triangles and a fire extinguisher because the truck is over 10,000 pounds. Knowing the requirements and having these normally overlooked items in the vehicle will serve you well when you go for the inspection.

It also pays to find a truck service shop for the inspection; they have a better idea what the inspection requirements are for something like a deuce - much better than a shop that normally only deals with cars and light trucks - since they inspect these vehicles all the time. You also might stumble into someone that really knows something about them - like the guy that owns the local truck service shop that worked on M35's in Southeast Asia back when they were new. These contacts are good ones to have.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Required or not, a back-up light is a useful thing if you actually drive your truck. Not hard to install, a "microswitch", wiring and the light fixture.....have it on the deuce and the 8x8.

DEUCE1209

thank you all for the great advise. i think it will save me a headache from the "Peoples Republic of Massachusetts" (vehicle inspections division) if i just wire up a small light and switch. i'll also be sure to look into the highway triangles and other easily missed items that are required before i go. thanks again.

scooter01922

Just keep in mind, IF you install that light it has to work for you to pass inspection. Once you upgrade the upgrade must remain functional. I'm with the others, its not needed for you to be legal. BTY where are you in MA??

GoHot229

Heres something I saw on ebay. I'm sure they must be made and available from Napa or somewhere onshore, These probably are chineese, I believe a company call Deitz made these at one time, hopefully still. But painted camo and installed as back-up lights, these would look close to something military sort-of. Problem is, their 12V and also 100W. In a serries, do you run 24V posative into one light then the negative to the posative of the next light and the negative of the second light to frame or whatever your useing as a ground ? and then will 24V be split into two 12V with both lights in this serries? If you could use these (in a serries) they would be neat in a couple different locations to the sides as well as driving lights for offroad

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you should separate "backup lights" from "flood" or "work" lights. A backup light doesn't have to be 100W, but a work light may be nice at that wattage.
Incandescent lights don't care about plus or minus, just wire them in series, problem is, if one fails, both go out.

GoHot229

I understand the dif, would these be legal as a back-up light? I'd like to either use some kind of flushmount and mount in the bed rear (holesaw type) with less watts ideally. The "floodlights" might give LEO cause for a ticket?