• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce road trip preparation

red devils dude

this tread is to help figure out how to prepare for for a long long distance
trip in the deuce including preparation, pre trip check's and what tools,
parts to carry with you let's start with the obvious.

belts, hose's, bulb's including head lights, fluid's ,oil ,coolant, brake fluid.

let's try and get a list put to together and make it a sticky.

mangus580

well, first you need a running engine rofl

sorry, couldnt resist!!!!!!

(dont worry, when I sticky it, I will remove this and all relating.... )

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TWO spare tires and the ability to change them.

For ME at least, that means a 20 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack, 6 ton jack stands, a 24v 3/4 inch impact wrench, air hose (just got one that attaches to glad hand), another air hose to attach to the bottle jack (my truck has an NPT quick disconnect behind glad hand), flat repair kit (only if YOU want to fix your own flat), chock blocks so the truck doesn't move even with the brake on, one of those 'hazard kits' with the triangles, flares.

Well, that's just for changing a flat. I am also going to pick up a small pick up crane and attach it to my truck so I don't have to worry about getting the spare on and off the truck.

20 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack for $100

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41487

6 ton jack stands

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38847

24v 3/4 inch impact driver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4609517353&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Air hose attaches to glad hand

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8033971402&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

1/2 ton pick up truck crane

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37555

I'll let someone else deal with other problems that cause us to sit on the side of the road.

Boatcarpenter

Axle seals, brake wheel cylinder, tire repair items in case of multiple flats, wiper blade, roll of wire and box of terminal ends for emerg. splicing, spare breaker(s), air line, flaring tool, spare temp. and oil sending unit and if you want to invest a lot, starter, alt, IP, fuel pump and so on and so on.

lacoda56

I know it goes without saying, but a decent set of basic hand tools should always be onboard. Combination wrench set and 1/2" drive sockets up to one inch, screwdrivers, pliers, vicegrips, hammers etc., as little or as much as you think necessary. Tire irons can double as pry bars, vice grips can clamp off a brake line, hold parts together, whatever it takes to get you back.

Armada

Don't forget the handymans secret weapon...... DUCT TAPE.
I carry an inline 24v fuel pump with a couple of rubber hoses and clamps in case the main pump goes out beyond the replacement of a fuse. Headlights too, those dam things never last long. A tube of RTV.
Also on real long trips, I carry parts that would be just about impossible to get anywhere soon. Spare compessor, injection pump, alternator, even a turbo.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A ham and cheese sandwich and a coca cola, as the drive through @ Wendy's isn't applicable in a Deuce

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are kenny, just take an extra deuce, and shop trailer with ya.
Dennis

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry a 4x4 block of wood to drive up on when i have a outside dual flat.
it keeps me from jacking it up to change the outside tire. I run my 3/4 drive impact for lugnuts. And as much used oil as i burn i keep spare fuel filters under the seat. I keep at least 2 jerry cans full of fuel. Sometimes you can get a better price on fuel when you get closer to a large town. Or if your out in the boonies it will get you back to a station.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those wishing to carry and extra injection pump, I ask this; have you ever replaced one? Thats a tough one to change in the truck. The oil line is just a bear to get on. I would never do an injection pump without removing that left fender. Also, Stretch is right, I usually take a spare truck with me when I travel.

red devils dude

it's more of a worst case scenario thing I've seen the injection pump go on the run in
tractor's so for me at lest it's a must have and I can get the left fender off in 15-20 mins flat.

mangus580

This really makes me gotta ask..... has anyone actually had an IP fail on a long trip like this? Honestly.... some of you guys are making me wonder how the Mil ever actually used these trucks :)

Keep in mind, I do understand the age, etc of them, but my deuce starts better than our 2004 Impala!

just trying to get a reality grasp on some of this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks