• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Rough Terrain Limitations

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...had a significant change in your mpg with the 6BT?
To be honest, it's hardly been driven since the swap. Been having a whole lot of other work being done, mostly to the cab.

If fuel mileage is a concern, you may want to add at least 1 set of lockout hubs. Some people put a set on one of the rear axles as well as the front, I only did the front. My understand is that power distribution to the rear axles is not equal, so choose wisely.

Watsonpreston

I believe my 2.5 ton truck is one of the most capable 2.5 ton truck

There’s a couple different videos on my YouTube channel

10 inch lift in the rear with 5 ton suspension that I took most of the springs out of
Frame and bed shortened 30”
Spools in the rear axles
Both rear drive shafts are high angle, custom driveshafts
8 inch lift in the front
Detroit locker in the front
Saginaw 710 steering gearbox plus hydraulic assist
Running 53 tractor tires now
Truck will trail ride and rock craw
Mud nothing normal stops It

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therealquaid

I believe my 2.5 ton truck is one of the most capable 2.5 ton truck

There’s a couple different videos on my YouTube channel

10 inch lift in the rear with 5 ton suspension that I took most of the springs out of
Frame and bed shortened 30”
Spools in the rear axles
Both rear drive shafts are high angle, custom driveshafts
8 inch lift in the front
Detroit locker in the front
Saginaw 710 steering gearbox plus hydraulic assist
Running 53 tractor tires now
Truck will trail ride and rock craw
Mud nothing normal stops It

Looks amazing! I’ve seen quite a few videos of your truck and threads as well 👏🏽

therealquaid

Thanks
your mods listed above will help you the bobbed is situational might help might hurt
The power steering is the most helpful mod off-road

I’m currently looking into power steering, trying to figure out the major differences between Boyce’s kit
F3473DB4-DFF0-428B-8C83-7D6FFBCE5691.jpeg
and Waterloo’s
3B2814BF-96BA-42A9-888D-E33CE91BEA61.jpeg

Watsonpreston

I personally like Waterloo kit better because of the style of pump being gear driven like the stock 5 ton pump
I do not believe Waterloo is going to make any more kits

I have broke a handful of the 710 gearbox’s under normal condition they won’t ever fail but these are not normal conditions. Once i had the gear box drilled and taped for hydraulic assist haven’t had a failure the hydraulic cylinder takes up all the shock loads
And prevents me from shearing off the bolts on the kingpin

therealquaid

I personally like Waterloo kit better because of the style of pump being gear driven like the stock 5 ton pump
I do not believe Waterloo is going to make any more kits

I have broke a handful of the 710 gearbox’s under normal condition they won’t ever fail but these are not normal conditions. Once i had the gear box drilled and taped for hydraulic assist haven’t had a failure the hydraulic cylinder takes up all the shock loads
And prevents me from shearing off the bolts on the kingpin

Thanks for that insight! Unfortunately Waterloo doesn’t make them anymore but I’ve found two kits for sale. So the Boyce kit does not use the stock 5 ton pump in theirs?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military proving ground testing back in the 50's found that in every case, super singles were superior to duals in off-road mobility.

That is the reason there were SS 2.5 & 5-tons built with them, like the M34.

In later years, most operations were highway routes, and duals were better handling the weight.

In the sandbox operations, we re-learned the advantage of SS tires. Most of them now are rated at high weight ability, with radial construction that will run at low pressure.

therealquaid

Military proving ground testing back in the 50's found that in every case, super singles were superior to duals in off-road mobility.

In later years, most operations were highway routes, and duals were better handling the weight.

In the sandbox operations, we re-learned the advantage of SS tires. Most of them now are rated at high weight ability, with radial construction that will run at low pressure.
Woah that’s pretty interesting I love that stuff. Any recommendations where I can read more about it?

rustystud

You have access to the 1950's testing results ? Could you post them here ?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I taught classes in the base library at the YPG back in the 70's.

Access to many reports on tactical vehicle testing was available, and I was really into army trucks. I couldn't take any of the material out of the facility, unfortunately.

Another thing I remembered was one report said tire diameter was more important than width in off-road operations. It was likened to casters on shop equipment, smaller ones get caught in floor cracks more often.

I'll check with a friend that worked there as well and see if any of those docs are available online now.

therealquaid

I taught classes in the base library at the YPG back in the 70's.

Access to many reports on tactical vehicle testing was available, and I was really into army trucks. I couldn't take any of the material out of the facility, unfortunately.

Another thing I remembered was one report said tire diameter was more important than width in off-road operations. It was likened to casters on shop equipment, smaller ones get caught in floor cracks more often.

I'll check with a friend that worked there as well and see if any of those docs are available online now.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge about that! I really appreciate that an experience like that can be shared so we can keep the history of these trucks and the people that worked with them.

It’s particularly interesting to me that you actually mentioned the YPG because this thread was started by questions that came up in my mind while I was driving off-road near Yuma.

Do you remember if they possibly did any tests looking into a longer wheelbase of a 6x6 vs a shorter wheelbase of a 4x4?

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The late 40's/early 50's Test & Evaluation Command gave us heavy tacticals in several wheelbases, i.e. the tractor/dump, the standard cargo, the long wheelbase cargo/extended van in both the 2.5 & 5-ton series.

This included the sealed 24V electrical systems with lots of commonality among other tacticals, automatic all-wheel drive, and fully field-changeable cab tops and bodies.

In the 4X4 category, Dodge had the lock on the tactical with the G741 total redevelopment program following the success of the WW2 models.

The Desert testing was rigorous on the little trucks, and many innovations and improvements were done over the older designs. Aberdeen and the Arctic Proving Grounds did their part as well.

This was not limited to fording capability, ride quality, better off-road ability due to suspension changes.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From a personal point of view, the huge amount of automotive engineering that went into the 50's fleet of tacticals paid us taxpayers great dividends.

Look how long they were in front-line service, compared to the last few years with many new designs that are being phased out without getting anywhere near the service record of the older generation.

Granted, the older trucks were "both hands on the wheel" designs, and you had to know how to work a clutch right. My dainty wife handles our M54A1 just fine, if I help her get up in it.

HN6

Lockers, power steering of some sort, super singles. the big buggies here where I live all run 2 steer axles, meritor hubs and 50-60'' ag tires, completely different game. Depends what you want. I like the 3 axles and some weight, safer in deeper river water....

pic of 5 ton stuck on that same levy the deuce went up, longer wheel base stopped it.

The problem with pics and video is it does not tell the complete story or what these modified trucks can actually do. I have said there is no way to man times to count now and it still makes it.

Attachments

therealquaid

From a personal point of view, the huge amount of automotive engineering that went into the 50's fleet of tacticals paid us taxpayers great dividends.

Look how long they were in front-line service, compared to the last few years with many new designs that are being phased out without getting anywhere near the service record of the older generation.

Granted, the older trucks were "both hands on the wheel" designs, and you had to know how to work a clutch right. My dainty wife handles our M54A1 just fine, if I help her get up in it.
I agree with every single bit of that sir, that’s part of why I love MVs! And so many people working together to build a reliable machine for a purpose.

therealquaid

Th
Lockers, power steering of some sort, super singles. the big buggies here where I live all run 2 steer axles, meritor hubs and 50-60'' ag tires, completely different game. Depends what you want. I like the 3 axles and some weight, safer in deeper river water....

pic of 5 ton stuck on that same levy the deuce went up, longer wheel base stopped it.

The problem with pics and video is it does not tell the complete story or what these modified trucks can actually do. I have said there is no way to man times to count now and it still makes it.
Those are some really nice pictures! And I agree pics and video can only do so much, I love to hear from others experiences and to learn more about the Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks