• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce rust locations

jbayer

Where are the common rust locations on a deuce? And was there a reinforcement on the cowl where the hood hinges bolt?
I know on the M35A2 there is a reinforcement plate under the cowl just like the one under the hood.
I took mine out, reshaped the cowl, (because it was dented in around the hinge's), then I made and intalled larger/ thicker reinforcement plates, installed with a urethane structual adhesive, like they use in cars.

Bill W

If your deuce is from Michigan than everywhere road salt can get into ( ask how I know ) but normal rust out areas are both driver and passenger lower door sills ( see pic's ), lower cowl ( below the side vents ) upper cowl where west coast mirrors mount.

Attachments

Last edited:

pigpen60

My deuce came from Fort Riley Kansas and spent the rest of the time in Missouri till i got it. There is rust pinholes at the bottom front of the door opening.

pigpen60

Hey Bill, your truck looks good. Mine had the paint stripped with a high speed grinder. No way without a lot of bondo mines ever going to look like yours.

jbayer

Approximately 9"W(width being L-R) x ~7"L x .125" (11 GA)Thick. Had to give it a slight roll contour being that thick. Length was about an inch shorter than the length of the cowl. (front - back).
I would have used thinner steel, maybe as thin as .078"(14 GA),but I had .125" laying around.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I see most areas have been mentioned, the rocker panels if you will bottom of the cab under the door, the doors, under the fenders at the lip edge and under the bed edges and any cross supports underneath the bed. Those are the areas that I've seen over my career, always make sure you rinse over and dirt and road salt from those areas. Keep the inside of the doors clean an enjoy!

Yarz

Mine's got it on the rockers, front of the hood, and some on the seam on the back of the front fenders. Oh, and I replaced the exhaust J pipe when I bought it due to rust.

What gauge metal are these built from? 18?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bracket that holds the spare was a bad spot for rust on the frame of my deuce. I cleaned it up real good and repainted that spot, and when I remounted the bracket, I used a couple of grade 8 washers to create a space between the frame and bracket so moisture could evaporate.

dmetalmiki

As mentioned the door bottoms tend to rust out. I do "oil" mine regularly. And There is a tendency for the bulkhead section support to rust where the exhaust heat passes onto it. Sometimes both sides. (just under and towards the back underneath of the mudguards).

saddamsnightmare

March 2nd, 2016.

Except for deuces assigned in the desert for their working life, perhaps the questions should be better phrased "Where on a deuce won't you find rust?":|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks