• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce s-cam brakes

hot rod deuce

heat wouldnt be the problem. just get the stuff for a 12,000 lb front axle. thats the minimum that semis run. I have a Junked out ford dump truck with a 20,000 pound front (and a running 3208 with a 13 speed box) or the 44K rears to use. so figuring that pair of brakes is rated for 12,000 pounds plus its BEFORE the reduction and you have 6.72 times MORE braking power or they need 6.72 times less pad presure. that means theoreticly a pair of 12K drums would hold 80,640 pounds. but then there is the traction problem.

Red Neck

Does anyone know how the Milennium Reo's air pac was modified to actuate by only air pressure and not a hydraulic signal from a master cylinder?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When Tom built the truck he added fluid reservoirs for each air pack. He then uses the air valve to apply air pressure to the air chamber of the air pack.

Trango

The REO used all the brake lines and systems from the C60 (probably a Cab over engine model). I picked tom's brain about this about a year ago but my notes are back home.

The airpacks in those trucks are actuated by JUST air. That's the point - the cab tilts, and so they just use flexible air hoses at the hinge - otherwise, it's alot of hydraulics being pushed around (and would be a heck of a flex line). Much better to have pneumatics on the COE's.

I grabbed all the brakes off of a Hino COE truck. I was thinking of doing the air only setup, but it has no strictly hydraulic backup capability. I am thinking now of taking the air input on the deuce airpack, splitting it, and then running another air line to another air pack. That way, I'd run the stock circuit just to the front, and the rears would be powered by their own seperate circuit (the new one). In the event of catastrophic air loss, I'd still have the stock brakes running to the front (which I could totally strongfoot), and then the rear, I'd have the rear propshaft ebrake (for a one time, shoe-melting stop), you know, since the front driveshaft will be disengaged in the event of total air loss.

Yours in worst case scenario planning,
Bob

Red Neck

A small problem comes to mind with your dual circuit feature. The air is only "triggered" from the air pac by a hydraulic signal from the master cylinder, so if you loose a hyd brake line, you won't be able to hyd signal the air pac to send air to the second air pac or even a trailer if you were towing one.

DUUANE

a juice brake setup isnt even close to the same league as a full air system(especially the L75 off road
system).we need the nitty gritty on the FULL AIR change over.my 57 chev uses a bendix hydro boost from a ford f700.it has front loaded rockwells front and rear with 2 wheel cylinders per wheel.the dual master from the f700 allowed me to plumb all the top wheel cylinders to one circuit and all the bottoms to the other.it's about the safest juice brake setup i've seen yet.if you loose one circuit you have diminished braking distributed evenly over all axles.a small itch with proportioning and multiple brake hoses,but safe.

over 15K# gvw s-cams and spring brakes are my first choice.

for the rest of you that still want a hybrid air/juice system you'll find what you're looking for in the attached .pdf i hope.

enjoy..

s-cams :banghead:

Firedog7051

Military Humvees don't have CTIS. Just another thing to break. ;-) The MTVR, 5-ton, M977A2, M1070, PLS, and M35A3 do though. I trust the MTVR's system in anything, such an incredible truck. Can't wait till they become surplus so I can drive one outside of the Marine Corps!!!

cranetruck said:
IMHO the standard brakes on the deuce are just fine if maintained. It is possible to improve performance by drilling holes in the drum for better cooling and to let water out (another one of those ideas by yours truly that had already been tried years before).

Air brakes require a very good air supply including an air dryer and alcohol evaporator.

"Mil Spec" used to mean that the equipment had to work down to -55 deg. The deuce was built to mil spec., but that was 50 years ago.
These days there are a lot of compromises in this area just to be able to use commercial innovations. I don't think the CTIS on the Humvee's, FMTV's and other vehicles is really built to work much below 0 deg F even. I think I read that in a manual somewhere.

jesusgatos

If you want to improve your brakes without spending $6000 I'll try to get the exact system that Millenium Reo (Tom Bauer) used. He uses a regular air valve to apply the brakes instead of a master cylinder and has a split system with two airpacks and 3 tanks with a redundant series of check valves. Similiar to the brake system on a C-60. I know it's deadly effective and has many safety features. Also, the latest deuces have the split brake system with 2 airpacks and even has a brake warning light on the dash. Might have the manual for that around here.
OK, here's a little info on the Millenium Reo system if anyone is interested.
http://mysite.verizon.net/milveh/trucka8.html
Dead link. I know it's old, but I'm researching potential brake upgrades and this system sounded interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks