• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Sleeper?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone put an S250 (or something like it) behind the cab to act like a sleeper?
It would still give somewhere around 4' of bed space behind it.
Been thinking about this for a while now, wondering if it would work well . . . or maybe some other shelter would fit better.

I don't always want to pull the 105 when I go out w/ my truck for a long weekend, and sleepin' in the bed's not the best ;)
Being that the "little Draggin' " came w/ an S280 in the bed, I have no sides/ bows/ cover. I also like being able to lock it up. Some of our travels put us places that makes keeping stuff in the back not the best idea.

Any thoughts,

Blendmaster2002

What about an overhead pickup truck camper could get any length size you want 6ft, 8ft, 12ft etc, and sleep easy.
Theres a couple threads on here on putting them on the deuce too. Iam kicking this idea around or putting a travel trailrer back there.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Soni is the only one I have seen and it is on his 920. I have thought about mounting one sideways behind a duce cab that way with the bed loaded you would still be able to get into the shelter. However if you were able to do a pass through to the cab that would not be needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To Blendmaster - I'm not crazy about how they are built, and I would prefer something that I can do the interior build-in myself. I've spent way too many years living in my rigs too be happy w/ how a camper is built. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my S318 in the back of my deuce for a while. The 318 is even smaller giving me 5' of bed. As long as loading and unloading isn't an issue, I think you will be most pleased with it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a 5-ton tractor with a sleeper, but not a S-250 shelter as one.

I think best bet would be to put a S-250 shelter in the front of the deuce bed, strapped down with steel cables as normal. That way, you can have a deuce with a camper and some storage area, or if you need more storage area, you can remove the shelter/camper. Best of both worlds.

Attachments

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my S318 in the back of my deuce for a while. The 318 is even smaller giving me 5' of bed. As long as loading and unloading isn't an issue, I think you will be most pleased with it.
No pictures of that I'm guessing :-/
I'm not that concerned w/ moving it in and out of the bed, it would prob stay there. I'm way more likely to Dragg a trailer around ;)

I think best bet would be to put a S-250 shelter in the front of the deuce bed, strapped down with steel cables as normal. That way, you can have a deuce with a camper and some storage area, or if you need more storage area, you can remove the shelter/camper. Best of both worlds.
Dawg, I'd hate to drink any of the beer from that container!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, sadly that was going back about 12 or so years ago. Have almost no pics from that era.

quickfarms

I've seen a 5-ton tractor with a sleeper, but not a S-250 shelter as one.

I like the looks if that tractor

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my s-250 strapped down in the back of the deuce. I did it for the hurricane, in case I had to leave. I figured it is a good place for valuables. Let me go get some pics.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to say UncleMikey the rigs you've built, and the ones you've posted photos of, are some of the most inspiring rigs I've seen. Your "Camper Apocalypse" (?) was one of the ones that I stared at many times before starting on the "She Beast". Thank you for the rigs and trailers you've shown us [thumbzup]

135gmc

Its an interesting idea - an S-250 is longer than an S-318, so there would be more elbow room inside. Some corner clips could be bolted / welded to the bed of the truck to hold the base in position, and the base could be bolted to the shelter through the tow ring corners - that way, you wouldn't need any cables to the upper corners. Check out TM 10-5411-205-13 for the mounting details. The shelters are normally wired for both 28 VDC and 120 VAC, and air conditioning is easy to add with either the military AC, or a commercial unit. I'm replacing my rear-mounted 6000 BTU MIL AC with a top mounted RV AC so I can shorten the structure up a bit - the only GOTTCHA on a rooftop unit is that the edge of the top is about 5/16" higher than the center of the top, so keeping rain water from the inside is difficult unless you build a mount for the rooftop AC that raises its base above the high water line - mine will be nearly 1" higher than the roof

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its an interesting idea - an S-250 is longer than an S-318, so there would be more elbow room inside. Some corner clips could be bolted / welded to the bed of the truck to hold the base in position, and the base could be bolted to the shelter through the tow ring corners - that way, you wouldn't need any cables to the upper corners. Check out TM 10-5411-205-13 for the mounting details.
I'm not finding that TM in a search of our TM section, does anyone have that?

And, does anyone have a list of the shelters, w/ measurements, that would work for this?

Last edited: