• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEUCE spin on oil filters!!!!

Jake0147

Burst pressure measures the absolute system pressure that will burst the can. You're right, I don't think that'll be an issue at 250 pounds, although much higher can be had in interchangable filters if one were so inclined. The media inside the can however is not even remotely close to that strong. The pressure drop (the "actual pressure against the element") is much lower and very easy to exceed when one starts messing with bypass valve settings, as there tends not to be a high margin of error in it..

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read every thread posted on this topic and now have a question. I have six MVs with mulifuel engines. And 4 spare engines
Why do these engines not get a million miles or even half that? Is it really the oil filtration or oil pressure lag time issue?

Jake0147

My guess would be in part that may be the case. In part, it would be easy to forsee abuse from "modern" drivers not understanding the importance of the startup and shutdown idle period on an engine with a not so modern design. In part, I believe it's because they sit too much with too little use, both in service and once they're surplused. This last one IMO is the worst. Sitting is hard on an engine.

Legend has it (and I can't personally vouch) that when installed in farm tractors (diesel configuration) and boats (I suspect diesel configuration) they are pretty stout and last forever. They are allowed more RPM in these applications as well, but they do not use the "drainback" oil system in these applications, and they probably tend to see longer durations of operation between startups and shutdowns.

jblack6527

That was my basic idea as well Jake, as for why these motors don't seem to last all that long, they spend a lot of time idling, and not much time actually working. If you were to drive one pulling a load everyday somewhere that was a constant run, they would probably last much longer.

jdmcgowen

I received this partial pm yesterday from John:

'I just got word from the Hastings people that their LF 433 filter which fits the adaptor is a 12 micron rated filter making it a finer filter than the Napa 1458 which is 16 microns which of course is finer than the 25 micron original filter elements that are spec'd for the multifuel military engine.'
Ok 25 micron spec'd for multifuel engine... Is this because the military doesn't want oilfilters to clog during use in battle? I just seem to think that when the military designs something they are looking at a whole wider spectrum than we'd need to in civilian life.

hole

I installed jatonkas spin on oil filter kit last month and couldnt be happier! Even after sitting for a week the old girl has pressure in about 3 seconds vs. 12 seconds for stock. I'm not an auto/engineer but its gotta help with longevity

dabtl

I am so sold on the jatonka spin filters that when I got my new deuce in July, every time I drove it, I got worried about the long oil pressure build up on starting. When I realized I was hesitating to start it up, I knew I had to move up to the spin on filters for it.:-D

They go on so quickly, I had forgotten that, and are so much of an improvement over stock that I now do not worry.

wsucougarx

For those of you who have spin on oil filters

I am looking for your old nice green CARC'd oil canisters w/the Tooele Depot stickers on them just like the image. Please let me know if you have them:-D I'm looking for a set that is in good condition w/out rust on the inside

Attachments

mlwats1@hotmail.com

i stopped at s & h supply ane the looked up the kit requied to put spin on filters on a 2150 oliver the part number is as follows: 40-3894052 only thing is nobody carries it but you can get all the parts to make up the kit for $81.30

40v0003702 adapter 2 each 33.46
30v3068145 filter 2 each 21.58
40v3891107 gasket 2 each 9.26
$81.30

i will keep you informed and send pics of the parts next week

s & h
1-888-232-4700

jeepin

mlwats1, are those Oliver part numbers?

i stopped at s & h supply ane the looked up the kit requied to put spin on filters on a 2150 oliver the part number is as follows: 40-3894052 only thing is nobody carries it but you can get all the parts to make up the kit for $81.30

40v0003702 adapter 2 each 33.46
30v3068145 filter 2 each 21.58
40v3891107 gasket 2 each 9.26
$81.30

i will keep you informed and send pics of the parts next week

s & h
1-888-232-4700

Last edited:

jatonka

I don't often comment on posts having to do with my products, I feel as though some people would say I hold a biased opinion. So, in this particular instance, I am commenting as a member only, but one with hard learned experience. The adaptors that Oliver/ White made and sold in previous years all failed. Some were aluminum, some were steel, some were galvanized steel. They all failed. The adaptors I make do not fail. Plain, to the point, fact. I have sold my adaptors to people who own the White 2-135 tractors and they are satisfied with them. they removed warped white adaptors to install mine.

hole

For those of you who have spin on oil filters

I am looking for your old nice green CARC'd oil canisters w/the Tooele Depot stickers on them just like the image. Please let me know if you have them:-D I'm looking for a set that is in good condition w/out rust on the inside
I've got just what your looking for , pm me if your still looking for these

dabtl

I figure that if those Oliver adapters are still around, eBay would have them at some point. I have looked for some on and off for months, just for fun. None have ever shown up.

jmh4x4

Put a set of John's spin on fuel and oil filters on today, one of the easiest things i ever done on a truck. Hardest part was getting the old fuel filter housing loose. Can't wait till the next fluid change, should be a peice of cake now.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks