• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce stalls at speed!

xjrockrawler

hey guys. i've had my deuce for a yaer and had no issues. it's a hercules multifuel model and i do run waist oil and such in it regularly!! recently while driving after about 5 miles or so after first start up.... while driving at speed it feels like the engine just stalls... like if you give it the gas... feels like you turned the key off. you can just hold it to the floor and about 3 seconds or so later it comes back but ... it keeps happening and you have to limp home. it will sit and idle all day long no problem. once it does this once ... it will happen as soon as you pull out next time. things i have done so far are................ changed fuel filters, drained the tank and cleaned it out...(tank was in great shape), pull the fuel pump out and cleaned and filled with 100% diesel to eliminate bad fuel or waist oil............. problem still exist. i do leak fuel around the injection pump i know!!

not looking for a miracle here..... but if someone could just point me in the right direction!!!!!!!!! thanks a lot and i really appreciate it!!!

greg2560

Has the Fuel Density Compensator been bypassed?Look up tm TM9-2910-226-34 that is on the injection pump. Sounds like something mabe in the Fuel Supply Pump Assembly.
No pro here just looking at the tm. My truck will do the same thing kinda. But when get to temp runs good. On mine if i run it mabe 1000 rpm to build air for 5 min then bring it back to idel. It will act funny

xjrockrawler

just heard that there are 3 fuel filters...... i changed the 2 on top near the back of the engine................. does anyone know where the smaller 3
rd one is located?

Same exact thing happend to me, changed all 3 fuel filters and it stopped.

Check for kinks in your fuel lines
Check to make sure your in-tank fuel pump is operating
Check to make sure your return line is not clogged
Look for air bubbles in your lines leading to the injectors
Check to make sure your intake is unobstructed

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Under the alt. Don't do anything till you swap the primary filter. If you open it up and it isn't a paper filter, it could be one of the re-useable ones.

xjrockrawler

thanks guys!!!!....... going to change that first thing. it's got to be something simple... this is a low mile deuce that was taken care of. didn't even know about a 3rd filter!!!
:beer:

gimpyrobb

Just so you are prepared, remove the ground from the batts when you do the filter. During my first filter swap I touched something on the alt while un-screwing the bolt to open the primary and got some sparks! The nut on the primary is 1", just so you know.

greg2560

Do you know a replacement number for the filter if it is a paper filter ? I have not pulled to check but glad to hear that could be the problem

gimpyrobb

What he said. Also, grab some brake cleaner. Those cans can have some funky stuff in the bottom of them. Your primary filter will be shorter than you think, just so you don't argue with the counter guy.

On another topic, do you know how to check your brake fluid(question mark key is busted).

xjrockrawler

ok...... so you guys know what you are talking about. changed the primary filter and have driven it about 25 miles.... WITH NO ISSUES..... I THINK WE NAILED IT. there was sludge in the bottom of it.... and don't know when it was changed last. thanks guys for all your help!!!! much appreciated!

my little 2 yr old thanks you more. now when she runs up to the door and says... pease...pease...pease..... i can take her for a ride! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

91W350

My first primary swap came out as a block of paste, the can was fuel of ice and sandy looking crap. It was nasty at six degrees, along side of the road.... That was about an hour before my second primary filter swap, equally as fuel of ice and clean otherwise....

gimpyrobb

Next step might be running it low on fuel and draining the tank. I could not believe the crud in there(mine).