• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Starter Solenoid Specs

SasquatchSanta

I'm of the opinion that the starter solenoid that mounts on the side of the block is the source of my intermittent starting problems.

I'm told these units are pretty much an off the shelf "universal" item --- was told I should be able to get a standard 4-post, 24-volt unit from NAPA or CarQuest.

I Called CarQuest this afternoon and quickly (naturally) got in over my head. Can anyone give me a heads-up on a description (size etc) of the stock/standard deuce unit?

The guy at CarQuest came up with a 120 Amp - MAKE, 65 Amp - BREAK 10 Sec on, 30 Min off ntermittent unit.

This crap is all Greek to me.

Anybody got any ideas as to what to ask for?

Thanks,

dburt

I think maby it is just called a starter relay, the solenoid is on top of the starter. Mine went bad, I had a thread going a while back titled something like- "starting problems, starter relay?" and I posted some pics on there. Don't know the specs per se, but I would think any 24 volt starter relay with two cable connections on the bottom and one for a smaller wire on the top should do it. Can you just take your old one in and hand it to the guy, and tell him you need a replacement? Sometimes the guy behind the counter likes to show off with lots of technical jargon. Also, maby you have a loose cable connection on the bottom, or a loose wire connection on the top of the relay.

papercu

If we are talking about the same thing, just a old fashion Ford starter relay (the kind that mounted on the inside fender) will do, it's 12v but will still work fine. Wayne

SasquatchSanta

Thanks for the input.

Previous to starting this search I had talked with my buddy John Bizal of Midwest Military to see if he had any of these relays on hand. He told me that he did but I could pick one up at a local auto store and save the UPS charges. Today I called him and asked what the charge for a new stock/original relay would be --- answer = $35.00. This was equal to what CarQuest wanted. Granted I have to pay freight when John ships (CarQuest delivers) BUT with CarQuest I'm not sure I'm ordering the right unit. With John I'm covered. He is sending a relay.

Thanks again for the input.

gbooth

1 place you might try is a Golf Car shop Some Industrial units are 24 volts and the solenoids are continuous duty and can handle over 75 amps for long periods of time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks