• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Starter Solenoid

chipola

bro's ,shop boys said solenoid bad for 300 plus they can fix. anyone know the correct solenoid parts # and where to get one reasonably priced. Thanks dud

ETHOS

the starter solenoid on the starter, or the relay on the block?

solenoids on the starter can be had for cheap, heck for 300 you can get a new starter, not rebuilt, with a warranty

chipola

solenoid

Ethos, for some reason some of these trucks came from mil without relays no sign of them in wiring harness.i was hoping there would be an replacement or crossover solenoid for that starter i have located a source of new starters for a very good price and i'm going to add an after market relay system to try and eliminate frying of my next solenoid thanks dud

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The solenoid on the starter serves two functions, it engages the pinion gear and closes the contact that supplies battery voltage to the starter motor. If the solenoid is "bad", there is a good chance that the gears are worn, so remove the starter and check condition. You probably should remove it anyway to replace the solenoid, but can be done without (removing the starter)...
Part no 8738050 and NSN 2920-00-757-2746.

Jakob

On the topic of starters... What's it mean when I push the start button and nothing happens? I absolutely know the batteries are good (I had them charged and tested, both good). I just got the truck all put together after doing a clutch job. Could I have missed something that's causing my trouble?

chipola

solenoid

i'm not gonna say that's whats wrong but the way my troubles started or not i should say. there are some real pros on here .someone on here will be able to help you. dud

GoHot229

$300.00 STOP Thats way too frigin much They can be taken apart and cleaned, its likely a conection when power is aplied caused from the ark which initiates the cylinder movement within the housing that can be cleaned up with emery cloth, the whole thing put in Vinigar, yes vinigar to etch the copper parts clean, vinigar really works well to clean copper, to like new, frikin....come on ....$300.00...............no, NO!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jakob,

westfolk and cranetruck are correct, first, when the accessory switch is on, you should at the very least hear the low air buzzer. Check the starter switch and connections behind it, although you only changed the clutch and shouldn't have messed with that stuff...I hope.

One thing, and it's a very long shot but it's worth a look see.

On the bellhousing bolts there was (or should have been) a ground strap under one of the bolts (on the upper right side when sitting under the truck looking at the flywheel). These motors are grounded in a few places, and that's how the starter current get's back to the battery. At least one of my block grounds are not connected (it was like that when I got the truck). It's a slim possibility that you may have similar "unhooked" grounds, and if you forgot to reconnect the bellhousing ground you may not have a good enough ground to allow the starter to get power flowing.

Like I said, it's a long shot, but if all else fails, take a set of jumper cables and ground the block to the frame or the negative battery terminal and see what happens.

just my 2cents

GoHot229

something that happened to me two weeks ago, I got in the Deuce and pushed the button, nut'in ......after cleaning all the connections, turns out it was the furthest giant ground cable from the left front of the starter to the frame, over all these years the loop on the frame side finally gave up and broke right at the loop, thus intermittant starts till finally no starts, depending where I was parked and if the eng/frame had enough flex/twist to loose contat.

Last edited:

Jakob

Everything sounds like it comes on. I'll check the connection and switch today. If that's not it, I'll check the connections at the starter.

chipola

starter

GoHot229 thanks for that bath info. What have i got to lose it's setting on the work bench now just waiting for me. thanks again dud