• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce starting...and running problems

wildbill81

First off I'd like to thank all who have helped me so far through replies to mine and other threads.
Here is my scenario:

I have a 67 M109 with the Continental muntifuel with the FDC bypassed. I have changed out the fuel filters(all 3), the oil and filters, and I can only get the truck to fire off with starting fluid. After reading the horror stories about ether, I tried WD-40 but no joy. However a combo of both will get it to fire. The truck will turn over and quickly stall if I don't pull the hand throttle out about 4 clicks before shooting the fluid in the intake and hitting the button. I have to give it a couple more mists while running before she'll take an idle on her own. I've turned up the fuel 2-3 turns and no change. Today I let her idle until the coolant temp came up to about 180, shut it down and it re-started after about 3 tries of 5 seconds of cranking with my foot on the gas pedal between mid and the floor. I've bled the secondary filters(before each initial start), can see fuel flowing in the return line to the tank. I've even bled the high pressure lines to the injectors with no improvement in starting. I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?
BTW, I removed the HH last week to check the obvious things I've seen in other posts but all appeared normal and re-installed it, as well as verified proper operation of the shut-down linkage/assembly.aua
Thanks.

Adrian A

Was it running prior to filter change? Perhaps something did not go back together properly. I might suggest takinv it back apart if you have exhausted the obvious things. Did you pressurize the tank to prime it? Does it run fine after it has run for a bit?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the in tank fuel pump, pumping? With the accessory switch on, and you open the bleed valve on the filters, does fuel gush out there? Sounds like the fuel transfer pump is not pumping. Just because you can hear it, doesn't mean its pumping. If its working, it will gush fuel at the filter bleed.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so what is the history? Was it starting and running well, then it developed a problem that you needed to fix and now it only starts and idles with massive help? Or? what did you fix? Did you do anything to the injection pump, such as "turn up the fuel"?
When it runs and you drive it, does it have power?

wildbill81

1. Truck was not running when I purchased, no batteries
2. I have fuel out of the secondary filter bleeder and the HH center plug
3. Truck was not running prior to HH removal to verify button attachment and plunger movement
4. Only initially starts with 4 clicks pulled on the hand throttle and starting fluid, then will idle with shots of fluid for about 30-60 sec before it idles on its own. I can then take it down to 800 rpm and she'll run all day
5. Before each start I bleed the filters and can see fuel in the return line so I know the in-tank pump if moving fuel.
Thanks

shannondeese

Mine did the exact same thing yours is doing right now. I changed the filters. Checked the fuel pump. Turned up both the fuel screw and droop screw. I got the power I was missing back but I still couldn't get it to start without ether. I finally changed the hydraulic head. I hit the start button and she fired in less than 5 revolutions. Fires now on the second revolution. Runs great. Good luck

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
classic case of bad HH. it cannot obtain enough pressure at cranking speed of about 300 rpm. with ether you get it up to a speed where it can. you could also tow it and it would start when the rpm passed 1000 or so.

wildbill81

Thanks guys! I've seen some posts that say these are not servicible, and one very good one that details the pictures of a successfull attempt. I figure I have nothing to loose by fooling around with it for a day before I spend any more money on this thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks