• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce starting problems

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 deuces that will not start using the push button starter. Have tried using a new push button switch on both but still does not turn the engine over. Nor does it engage the solinoid. I have been jumping across the starter/solinoid with a push button with aligator clips. I have power coming into the switch. Is this a common problem? What, where should I be looking?

Last edited:

dittle

Is there a switch on the clutch that needs to be made for it to start? This is a common feature on most manual vehicles that I know of.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a volt meter and see if there is power into the switch. Start with easy things first!

bpj911

relay

I had a deuce before and that relay went bad. Exactly the same problem you are having. Kind of in a hard to get to spot to change it there.

mangus580

Do your gauges etc power up? I assume you are turning on the accessory switch? Really odd you have 2 of them doing the same thing!

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, everything powers up with power to the push button and thru the button. And, yes ODD to have 2 relays go bad. One went bad about 2 mo ago and the other in the past few days. Both have the same symptoms. Saturn surplus is out of them. And that is one item I do not have in inventory.
Silly me, I have a hard copy of TM 24-1 and found the trouble shooting methods for the battery and charging system. It is a pain to get to even to test. Probably will pull air cleaner to make life easier.
Thanks guys for your imput.

OD_Coyote

Is there a switch on the clutch that needs to be made for it to start? This is a common feature on most manual vehicles that I know of.
The M35A2 is from pre-clutch saftey switch era, which is one of the reasons I own one. Gotta love the simplicity of the deuce. :grin:

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hear Ye, Hear Ye,
On a hunch, a whim, a gut feeling I went out and wacked briskly with a wrench on the starter relays. Both deuces started immediately. I surmise the cold weather had some effect on their function?

KaiserM109

Before you open up the wallet or get out the check book, clean up ALL your electric connections. That might include the connection between the starter itself and the engine block because that is part of the circuit too. Clean up all the battery connectors, too. The starter by far pulls more power than anything else so other things might appear to be working fine, even though it might have bad connections somewhere.

I don't think it will affect the starter, but check your entine-to-frame ground strap while you are at it. That one will give you strange symptoms on gauges and lights.

Good luck.