• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Steering Wheel Cracks.....?

saddamsnightmare

August 9th, 2008. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Gentlemen:

I hope this landed in the right department, but does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to repair deuce steering wheel cracks??? :? My 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare, has developed several cracks in the composition material used for the steering wheel.... one or two clear across the outer end of the spokes by the rim, several around the body of the hub, none extending for more then an inch, and a couple along the axis of the hub (in the plane of the steering shaft) not more then 1/2 to 3/4 " in length. The wire core of the wheel seems solid enough, most of this constitutes cosmetic issues, and so I was wondering about the best way to mend the problems....
Another steering wheel item, is that when it is foggy, or the humidity gets up under certain temperatures, the steering wheel composition seems to leave black smudges on the hands....! I know that the colorant was carbon based, and the probable solution would be to clean and repaint the wheel O.D.Semi-Gloss after correcting the above cracking issues.... Would Aerovoe or other reputable semi-gloss OD in the spray cans work? Will it set fast enough at 90*F+ temperatures to be useable within 2 to 12 hours??
Until my Unimog gets back from Dallas, the M35A2 is the main work and duty truck, so I can't afford to immobilize it very long and keep peace in my family (the wife's jeep, is off limits for any amount of use EXCEPT in an emergency....). Therefore, your best thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated..... [thumbzup]

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan [thumbzup]

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce :drool:
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB :beer:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'd have to use a good automotive paint with hardeners and such. The rattle can stuff will prolly wear off too fast. I clean the steering wheel, and as you state, if it is high in humidity or wet outside, the wheel still leaves my hands filthy.

steelandcanvas

Kyle, Years ago, Hot Rod Magazine did an article on steering wheel repair. IIRC, it suggested you file a "V" into the crack as to give the Bondo some more holding power. And then, as WillWagner suggests, a good automotive paint with a hardner applied should bring you back to original. You might want to wait until you get the Unimog back, so you can take your time and do it right. Just my 2cents

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an old hot rodder and restorer there are many antique auto places that sell steering wheel repair kits. Comes in a variety of colors. And I believe Eastwood may carry the kit.
Classic Auto in OK City should carry it also. They are on I-35 south side of the city. Search Hemmings Motor News.

Re: RE: Deuce Steering Wheel Cracks.....?

gimpyrobb said:
The guys that restore cars just mix up some bondo and fill in the cracks, then hit it with paint.
I just saw a bit on "hod rod tv" they did the same thing..... filled in the cracks then used a air gun with a small fiber/sponge like sanding disk to clean everything up, wiped down with alcohol and painted with good quality auto paint.

49willys

They all seem like great ideas..

I like all the ideas..
Bad thing about bondo is if used more than an 1/8 inch thick, it can crack over time.

I used fuel tank repair putty. Just need it in your hand until mixed and pres into the crack.

Then wrap tightly with electrical tape, after that wait two hrs and sand it even. It has a dull texture, so it holds paint well. I have done this with almost an inch gap and had no problems, even worked on my 70 Buick Skylark.

Tom -.-

littlebob

I like the JB weld or another epoxy idea. When I get to mine I was going to do that or I remember using a filler forflexible body parts that might work well as it trys to expand and contract. A good two or three part polyurethane paint would probably work best, but by the time you buy all of the best materials to make the best repair you probaly could of bought another wheel.

littlebob

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the grubby when humid thing is probably dirt. Old sweaty greasy dirt that has worked its way into the plastic of the wheel. Find a detergent/degreaserthat won't harm the wheel and use clean old towels to scrub and clean the thing. This suggestion is based on a similar problem with an old car having the same kind of plastic wheel, but has not been tried on the M35's wheel by me.

Capt.Marion

If you are a non-purist, ultra-functional person like me, you'd just wrap it a couple times around with black electrical tape. I've done that with my tractors, and it has lasted (so far) for 20 some-odd years. It also thickens the steering wheel (maybe not necessary in this case) to facilitate the mounting of a necker's knob...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks