• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Stuck and need help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to some pics! Glad your out.

Just a fair warning, the last guy that posted about a stuck vehicle, well he led the story up to sound like an epic recovery and totally let us down with a pic something like this(see pic posted below).

Don't be "that guy"!

:doghead:

Attachments

ODw/envy

Just a fair warning, the last guy that posted about a stuck vehicle, well he led the story up to sound like an epic recovery and totally let us down with a pic something like this(see pic posted below).

Don't be "that guy"!

Suppose I 'll wet your beaksStuck 01.jpg.

phil2968

Don't be "that guy"!

Hum...... That looks a lot like your truck DH!
Oh wait, I looked again, not enough rust!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no intention of even getting the tires dirty, but you cannot air down on the highway. Rather than do a three point turn I picked, what appeared to be, an easy turn around. I tried to cross a very narrow ditch and the next thing I know the front bumper was on the ground.
After looking at the picture; if you really didn't think you'd get stuck, you may need glasses!:beer:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was he wearing a dress while riding?

can't say much I rode the crap out of gimp's moped when he was here.

I imagine the mud wasn't visible until he got stuck and was trying to get out.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Invisible mud? OH NO!!!! LOL (someone had to type it! ROFLLMAO) Glad you are out and ALL are safe! That's what really counts, right?
God bless,
Tony

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you are out. Buy another truck so you have something to get you out next time...;-)

ODw/envy

I had to leave town for a few days, after I got the truck out, so this is the first chance I have had to do a full post.

I was working on the antikythera mechanism, Err aahh... CTIS and needed a place to run the tire pressures up and down, without the bother of scaring/annoying/endangering the citizenry. Lets face it, running the tire pressure up and down on public streets is a bad idea. I was comfortable with the sugar sand and the deuce seemed at home. The idea was to cycle the pressures up and down a few times to confirm/improve functionality. I do have one valve that lets air in but not out and one the does the opposite.

If you have worked on the CTIS you will understand why I did not want to get into any mud. This was my first fore off the black top in FL, so I was trying to pick my path with care. You will notice in some photos that the ground around the hole looks quite pristine. That is the way the whole area looked before 8 hours of digging, pulling, and winching, or 16 hours of rain. BTW, it sank another foot over night, and I did sleep in my Ford, on the power line, to make sure no one molested my truck.

These pics where taken right before the 30K winch with snatch block was attached. We, with the aforementioned struggle, had managed to move the truck 25+ feet. I did not initially have my camera so I did not get pictures of the initial "Stuck". When first I plunged into the void, formerly an innocuous looking depression, the front bumper went immediately to the ground and the rear tandem came off the ground. I did rock it a little, but only out of spite, I had no delusion that the truck would move under it's own power. Surprisingly, it did move about 12 inches back and forth until it was fully high centered (2 tries).

There are circulating pictures of the event, in it's early stages. I will see if I can contact a few of the participants and attempt to make some better pics coalesce here.

A 250 dollar tram ride finally did the trick. It took 2 attempts and some extra rigging. The wrecker moved about 8 feet back with it's feet dug in more than 3 feet. It is quite a site to see such a large truck with it's front tires off the ground. Again, I was feathering the throttle in the deuce, so I did not get pics. He pulled me another 10 yards before the ground was solid enough for the tires to come up.

View attachment 403026View attachment 403027View attachment 403028View attachment 403029View attachment 403030View attachment 403031View attachment 403032

What did I learn? Get a friend with a 5 ton military wrecker and more importantly; stay away from Florida black mud.

Last edited:

emr

Those tires have way to much air in em :) They packed right up it looks to me, I Love this thread because getting a good "stuck in the mud" a few times makes a man a man :) Don't hide from that mud ! Get down there and run her thru again :) With a 5 ton buddy :) if I were by You i would run it in a heart beat with You... :) All the best,... tires to wide too :) just sayin :)

ODw/envy

Those tires have way to much air in em :) They packed right up it looks to me, I Love this thread because getting a good "stuck in the mud" a few times makes a man a man :) Don't hide from that mud ! Get down there and run her thru again :) With a 5 ton buddy :) if I were by You i would run it in a heart beat with You... :) All the best,... tires to wide too :) just sayin :)
You are quite right, I ran the tires up to the "Highway" pressure setting temporarily, trying to lift the truck a few inches to dig out the front end (manually). The CTIS was in mud, snow, sand, ect.. when the initial insult occurred. I would tend to agree with the tire observation, but for one fact; this is a natural spring (previously known by locals, not by me), any tire that would not allow the truck to float (literally float, would be inadequate).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks