• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tailgate Crane

wyocommo

Tailgate/Bed Crane Mounts

:idea:
Anyone mounted a bed crane with a flush mount? I am looking at putting in some type of post mount that can be slipped out of the bed so it doesn't obstruct the corner of the bed when I need to put a wide load into the bed.

This is going to require some bracing and strengthening work under the bed surface.

Just don't want to reinvent the installation if its already been attempted.

plym49

:idea:
Anyone mounted a bed crane with a flush mount? I am looking at putting in some type of post mount that can be slipped out of the bed so it doesn't obstruct the corner of the bed when I need to put a wide load into the bed.

This is going to require some bracing and strengthening work under the bed surface.

Just don't want to reinvent the installation if its already been attempted.
Why not three or four 2" receiver mounts, end up and flush with the bed? Then you drop in the crane and have plenty of footprint and bracing, as the receiver tubes could extend down as much as needd. They would also serve as mounts for whatever else - a vice, searchlight, etc.

wyocommo

I am anticipating that the crane post will be larger than 2" receiver just for strength. But I like the idea of doing the 2" for other things, like antennas, vice, flags, etc. Good idea!

plym49

I am anticipating that the crane post will be larger than 2" receiver just for strength. But I like the idea of doing the 2" for other things, like antennas, vice, flags, etc. Good idea!
I'm thinking that the crane post gets attached to a square flat plate of proper thickness, sized as big as you can fit in there. You weld the inner 'slug' that goes into a 2" receiver to all four corners, extending down, and of whatever length.

Then you weld 4 receiver tubes endwise in the bed to correspond. Brace as needed.

Now you have a crane base plate that accepts the post of the crane up top, and the four pieces on the bottom go into the four receiver holes in the bed. It is not going to tip on you, and you have not changed the crane.

I think this would work, would be easy to set up when you needed to use the crane, and would meet your requirement of keeping the bed flat.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not something like this: Mounting Base, Flush Mount, Red - Jib Cranes - Hoist Winch and Rigging - 2ZU56 : Grainger Industrial Supply

This mount from grainger isn't cheap, but it'd probably be easy to build yourself. Cut a hole in your bed, make the plate span the stringers under the bed, and weld or bolt it to the stringers. Seems like it'd work pretty well. Just drop the mast of your jib crane in the hole and hoist away. You could even put one at the front of the bed, and one at the rear that way you could use it in either position. I don't see why this wouldn't work.

I think another member put a mount on his front bumper too.

I've thought about doing this for awhile, just haven't got to it yet. I have no welding skills and no equipment so I'd have to drill and bolt.

treeguy

BINGO!

Just cruised this thread and Sigo's link is exactly the concept that I had been brain-storming. I'd add gussetts to the tube (underneath) and add plating or channel under the bed to spread the load (esp. for when swiveling).

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out mine (post #17). The base is made so it can be mounted above or below the bed.

quickfarms

One solution would be to permanently mount the reinforcing plate under the bed so that you could simply remove four bolts to remove the crane.

Another idea is to secure the crane with several popup locking ISO connectors

JCKnife

I did pick that up today (pictured above). The little angle brace in the corner is ate through with rust but that can be replaced pretty easy. But for now this thing is the bottom of my list, after winch rebuilding and painting the whole truck, so it's going to sit in a corner for months.

rolling18

Here are the pics of the modified troop seats. Just need to obtain an extra folding leg.
GREAT IDEA!! thanks for pix
I like the ideal of seperate folding seating sections for different cargo loads..

I think I will apply the "jump seat" mod to inclusde both sides maybe 3 or 4 sections each:)

SteveKuhn

I really do need an occasional bed lift device for heavier stuff. I'm still considering winch & ramps, but I really like the idea of a crane.

I'm thinking of a pedestal mount along the principles of the receiver tube idea in the left photo but using the M35 pintle and centering it with the tailgate chained flat. I don't want to drill or weld the bed, and I can work wood better than metal. Everything should store, assemble, & break down to a 4' - 6 x 8, a couple of boards, + crane.

I came up with the idea in the center (crude) drawing that I suspect will be serviceable for the 1/2 ton crane designs for up to 600 - 700 lbs. It should be inexpensive too, the highest priced pieces being the threaded support rod/lunette loop. The truck photo is for perspective and has the working measurements.

All dimensions are approximate and TBD, esp. the lower tip supports. They would quickly bolt/unbolt to the upright. The top could be adjusted for a larger crane base plate than the upright by using a cross-T or flat plate.

Comments?

Steve

Attachments

plym49

I really do need an occasional bed lift device for heavier stuff. I'm still considering winch & ramps, but I really like the idea of a crane.

I'm thinking of a pedestal mount along the principles of the receiver tube idea in the left photo but using the M35 pintle and centering it with the tailgate chained flat. I don't want to drill or weld the bed, and I can work wood better than metal. Everything should store, assemble, & break down to a 4' - 6 x 8, a couple of boards, + crane.

I came up with the idea in the center (crude) drawing that I suspect will be serviceable for the 1/2 ton crane designs for up to 600 - 700 lbs. It should be inexpensive too, the highest priced pieces being the threaded support rod/lunette loop. The truck photo is for perspective and has the working measurements.

All dimensions are approximate and TBD, esp. the lower tip supports. They would quickly bolt/unbolt to the upright. The top could be adjusted for a larger crane base plate than the upright by using a cross-T or flat plate.

Comments?

Steve
Don't be hesitant to work with metal -- but work with good metal, not Harry Homeowner stuff from Ace or HD. Threaded rod is not going to cut it. Not strong enough, will crack where it is bent to a sharp radius, and will deflect like all get out anyway.