• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tarp & Bows Move Forward?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have an opportunity for a unique heavy hauling job, moving a ~very heavy antennae base up to a radio tower site on Mt Hood. We got a short break in the weather and have to do it tomorrow.

Will need to pick the base out of the back of Esmerelda with a crane onsite. Not being a Government Trained Multifuel Operator, I have never had to do much with the tarp on my deuce, and that thing is HEAVY.

It looks like there are sockets for the roof bows to be stacked up in front. Is it possible to just pull the tarp back onto the cab, move the bows up front, and then some tidy-military way to fold/roll the tarp up in front and secure it on the bows? I don't want to pull it all off and throw it in the snow, isn't there a better way? Don't need the whole top clear for the pick.

Any links to how this should be done, photos, advice, kibitzing, or just telling me I am using the wrong motor oil would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks you guys, it has been a while, I have been busy scrambling to make a living and actually have a way now for the deuce to pay for her pretties.

I promise to post photos, it should be epic.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't a dropside. I see there are some sockets towards the front that looks like they are for storing the bows. I am wondering if there is a copacetic way to roll up and stow the tarp towards the front without dumping it all in the snow at Timberline Lodge.

Where we are going is up above the lodge to a radio tower site. Will have some site photos here in a bit.

Josh

Sweet. The drive up to T-Line in a deuce is a fun one. Ive had my truck to the top of SKibowl (my uncle works there) and it was quite fun. **** if I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd be up there to helps ya out.

Also, I'd just take the cover and the bows off tonight at your house, and reinstall them when ya get done. When we installed my cover(turned out to be a 5ton cover), 4 of us did it with out much issue, other then installing it backwards.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, would be fun to have you. They are putting us up in Timberline Lodge for the night. The trip up the mountain from the lodge should be an epic "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

Think you are right, bet two of us could just pull the tarp off in the yard and then enlist more help when it is time to put it back on.

Still would like to know if there is a nice tidy way to just move it all forward and secure it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you got me stumped. Do A3 beds (non-dropside) have the bow storage? If so put the uprights in the slots. The bows go in the front under the bed. I'd fold the cover and throw it in the room, or cab.

Josh

Ive rode to the top of Palmer snow field in a snowcat and it was a fun ride, Im betting a deuce will be just as fun. They have some pretty heafty wheeled loader there, and some decent sized exacavtors that make it to palmer, Dunno where the station is relation to that.

Last edited:

mckeeranger

I've never seen one with the cargo cover rolled up to the front. I've just seen them with the hardware stored there.

Our XM817 has the same storage slots, neither of our M35A2s have them.

srodocker

i was able to put my rear cargo on myself took awhile cause you have to do it inch by inch. but i would just take everything off and leave it at your place then put it back on

DieselBob

I have removed and installed my cargo cover 2 ~ 3 times myself. Not a fun job but can be done without to much trouble. My A2 doesn't have any storage for the bows either. As the others have suggested I would just leave it at home and not have to worry about it. 2cents

FormerNewMVGuy

I take mine on and off by myself alot, Deuce and 5 ton, once on the ground, fold both sides to the center, then set it on top of the bows and unfold right down both sides and hook the cords. Its a little heavy but is the best way to do alone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks