• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tips and Tricks

tshields

willysmd said:
cranetruck said:
You can always install my little turnsignal/buzzer gizmo, which changes the continous buzz to a very tolerable beep..beep..beep and uses the buzzer as a turn signal minder too.
Hi what litle gizmo would this be then I am always leaving the indicators on which is annoying, thanks
Ditto!!! Would like to hear about this little gizmo.

Terry

66 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 wo/w Desert Tan for now

Banshee365

Recovry4x4 said:
Rear Tire Matching. If you refuse to run on one rear axle then this formula is for you. Roll out the circumference on all of your rear tires(make sure they all have the correct tire pressure). Pair up your tires according to circumference. 2 biggest, next 2 biggest and so forth. Once you have 4 prs made, take the pair with the largest circumference and the pair with the shortest circumference and put those on the same axle. Put the remaining 2 prs on the other axle. This is as close as you can match the 8 tires without truing them.
Does this mean, say, the middle left set would have the largest diameter, the middle right with the smallest, then the rest on the rear axle? That's kind of how I took it, how does running the largest tires on one side and the smallest on the other help the tire matching? I need to do this soon when I get some more time to get all those damn tires off.

-Kelly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Kelly, that is correct. Basically it mathces total rollout of both axles since they are rigidly connected. The only concern one should have and it really isn't one would be that the spider gears in the one axle would be moving all the time. In fact this is true but they will be moving at such a slow speed no additional wear will occur. You want the mean average curcumference of the 8 tires shared between the 2 axles. As a crude example, try this. 8 tires and the smallest one is 121" circumference. Each tire increases by 1 inch so the last tire is 128''. If you add the 121 and 122 tires with the 127 and 128 tires you get 498 for that axle. Now add the 123, 124, 125 and 126 tires. That equals 498. In the real world the tires will never work out perfectly but this is as close as you can get them without shaving them.

herc69

Thanks to all that post here. I just finished a search for door repairs, and found the answers right away!! :beer: If it weren't for y'all being there before me, or knowing the answers to my questions when I ask, these trucks of ours wouldn't be in half as good a shape as they are right now!! YOU ALL ROCK!!! [thumbzup]

Banshee365

Anyone who has greased their deuce has probably noticed that the zerks on the driveshafts all point down if the driveshaft is indexed correctly. Seems like every time I get under the truck I'm lucky to have them all pointing down.

Remember to index the zerk fittings when you uninstall/install driveshafts for driveability.

I've also noticed that last years oil change (only 60 hours) seemed to be pretty fuel dilluted. Remembering how I ran it I know I idled it alot. Having spoken with a few other members it is good practice to pull the throttle cable while idling for several minutes to 1000-1200 rpm to prevent wetsacking and to get a more complete fuel burn. This should decrease cylinder wall wear, and decrease fuel dillution. I idle my truck at dead idle for the first minute after start and the last minute before shutdown but other than that I bring the idle up. I also has a high idle switch on my 2005 F-250 diesel for these reasons, along with keeping injectors clear and the variable turbo vanes gunk-free.

-Kelly

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick way to fry a generator

Hello all,

There's a current warning out there, somewhere, about shutting down the motor, completely, before turning off the power switch. That is, the process for shutting down your truck should be:

1. Stop the motor first, as in, there's no movement. With the deuce it's pulling the engine stop cable and the 5 Ton it's simply turning of the engine switch (which closes the electronic fuel shut off solenoid).

2. Once the motor has stopped completely, then and only then should you turn off your battery switch. Rule is, the battery switch should never be in the off position when the motor is running, otherwise you risk frying the generator.

Yup, I know, some will argue that because of the long battery switch you can't pull the engine stop cable on a deuce unless you turn the battery switch off first. Well, there is enough room to pull the cable out without turning the battery switch off.

I don't pop on the radar that often, but was compelled to warn the crew about this issue ...

CZAR

rmgill

RE: Quick way to fry a generator

Why would that fry the generator? Doesn't it loose field power and thus it's output drops to zero? If so, it's not pushing voltage and not making current and thus can't over work.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn of motor before turning off battery switch

Great question; not sure. I'll do some searching this weekend. I'm active military and remember seeing the article come out in PM or some other forum recently. I'll find it ...

Joe

Flea

RE: Turn of motor before turning off battery switch

Did any answer to the generator question arise? I am curious to this as well... I think my generator is out and I don't wanna fry another if that is the case.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question: My deuce's lights have just started going out (no headlights, turn signals etc) after I have been driving a while. I can turn off the electrics, then back on and they come back on. Any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a circuit breaker in the headlight switch-sounds like the wiring is getting hot and kicking the CB. Perhaps start inspecting the system for pinched /loose wiring.

jatonka

If you need more room behind the wheel, like I do, put in a box type driver's seat, or install an 800 series steering wheel which is a couple inches smaller diameter, helps if you have air assist power steering before you do this. Or if you want to spend no money, take some of the padding out of your spring type driver's seat back.

nickd

I needed more head room in my deuce. The air actuated wiper motors were always in my line of vision. I removed the spring and cut it down by one coil. Then I found the electric wiper kit and that made it better!

Promise

How do you keep an M35A2 warm in the winter? Is there a heater block? Also, does anyone know where I could get a slave cable to connect two trucks together to jump them?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
nickd said:
I needed more head room in my deuce. The air actuated wiper motors were always in my line of vision. I removed the spring and cut it down by one coil. Then I found the electric wiper kit and that made it better!
You can also mount the air wipers upside down. I got that one from Stretch!

beaubeau

This goes with Recovery4x4. It is hard to turn Bolt on Prim. filtrer. Take it off the frame, and by slightly bending fuel line, you can move filter back on frame by 4-6 ins.Drill holes for bolts to frame. This exposes Bolt and nut , easier to Change filter, it is not under Alt. . Phil

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Great timing Phil! My tube from the primary is crap and I'm putting on another that is in good shape tomorrow! I will do that for sure. I will not forget the time I touched something in the alt and was so blinded by the arc, I almost fell off the truck. DOH!