• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tire Chains

jollyroger

I have done a little chaining myself. My Pop on the other hand has done alot of it on his M-37. Dad tells me stories of having to chain up the steering axle and driving over scrub oak in 2 feet of snow while hunting bear in the Uncompagre Range. Chains are awesome but you are limited on your top speed and they are hard on pavemet and the pavement is hard on them. I had a set break a link in the center and it beat the crap out of the fender before I could stop. They were old chains and I had a short stint on the pavement to get to the next musshy area. A regular visual inspection and cleaning is a good idea just like anything else mechanical.

olly69

Chains make progress possible when "airing down", single tires, tread styles, fat tires, just make progress hopeful. Always use three railers on duals.

When installing on duals, fold the three railers in half long ways. Lay them across the outside dual, and fold them over onto the inside tire, with the center, in the middle of the tire. I have made a hook out of 3/8" round stock, triangle handle one end, hook on the other, about 3' long. Use it to reach between the duals to fish the end through, to hook up. The only way easier is to use a bottle jack and lift the axle. That is best. But it takes forethought. Which suggests that installation of chains is far more pleasant if you put them on before you have to dig down to the tires with a shovel. Its also far easier on the truck, if you chain up and just drive through the rough spots, rather then horsing the vehicle back and forth.

Lee in Alaska
Is there any chance you could put a video on Youtube? That would be great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks