• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce tires on the CUCV???

AJMBLAZER

I did, and it was a picture of a big tire.

Too big for my needs. Would have to regear, upgrade the brakes, lift, etc etc etc etc to fit something that much taller.

dieselsmokem35a2

What kind of lift are you using for the Humvee tires?
It was like that when I bought it. I was told it is an 8" Rough Country lift. I can only find a 6" lift on Rough Country's web site so I am not so sure it's an 8". No body lift under there. I do know that whom ever installed the kit didn't change out the pitman or steering arm so my turning radious is very poor. Currently looking for the proper pitman arm if anyone has any leads. Three point turns are getting old.

AJMBLAZER

Go ahead and do cross over steering. Much safer, more reliable, and more capable than the stock system bandaided to work with that much lift.

Also time to do the ORD steering brace.

jimmy-90

has anybody tried putting deuce tires on the cucv.
If you are looking to put deuce tires and wheels on a cucv then I'd say go ahead and get the rockwell axles with them and put it all on your truck. The rockwells are already meant to use those tires and wheels plus they will fix the issues you will have with drive line angles due to the amount of lift that will be required to run something like 395's on a cucv. Rockwells will also solve the gear ratio problem. After those mods all you would need is a supercharged big block and you'll be ready for the Trucks Gone Wild competition!!!

jesusgatos

Think rockwells might cause more driveline problems than they'd solve. 1-ton axles would allow the vehicle to sit a lot lower, and retain better driveline geometry. Would only require a custom set of wheels and a bit of cutting...

DokWatson

These are 15/15/42 swampers...pretty close to the deuce tire size. 7" lift with trimmed fenders. Don't mind the paint, previous owners design. I'm going to paint it back to desert tan someday.

In Alaska the maximum frame height is 28 inches. I'm at 27 1/2 with fully aired 42's. Might be something to keep an eye on if you tried to run 12.50R20 michelins depending on your local law. I think they are closest to 44's.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go. Finishing up my M1028 rebuild now. Built the wheels back in 1985 and run them for 10 years on a K30 civi with 4" lift. More photos later after I can get it out of the shop.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Here you go. Finishing up my M1028 rebuild now. Built the wheels back in 1985 and run them for 10 years on a K30 civi with 4" lift. More photos later after I can get it out of the shop.
Sweet! Let's see some more pics.
If you are using the top loader rockwells, then your driveline angles will be actually be better than with 1-tons
Was talking about the front driveshaft having to go from an offset front output (transfer-case) to a centered (ish) front diff. Driveline geometry is not what I'd call great, and it's about more than just the driveline angles. You're gonna have to lift that truck sky-high if you want o have any compression-travel from ride-height.

DokWatson

Sweet! Let's see some more pics.

Was talking about the front driveshaft having to go from an offset front output (transfer-case) to a centered (ish) front diff. Driveline geometry is not what I'd call great, and it's about more than just the driveline angles. You're gonna have to lift that truck sky-high if you want o have any compression-travel from ride-height.
Rockwells under a regular chassis are specifically for wheeling, not a street vehicle. Driveline vibes aren't very apparent crawling 5 mph through rough terrain. Its not that big of a deal. Square drive shafts aren't the best either, people run those too. And no, it doesn't have to be lifted sky high. The axles tubes are modified to use different springs, not the deuce springs.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Not going to argue the point, but there's nothing about rockwells that inherently limits them to off-road use. It's more that in most cases, people adapt them to vehicles without consideration for on-road performance. Not sure what axle tubes have to do with the height of the vehicle either, as it's the center-section that creates all the clearance problems, and of course I wasn't assuming that the stock suspension would have to be re-used. Cheers.

DokWatson

Not going to argue the point, but there's nothing about rockwells that inherently limits them to off-road use. It's more that in most cases, people adapt them to vehicles without consideration for on-road performance. Not sure what axle tubes have to do with the height of the vehicle either, as it's the center-section that creates all the clearance problems, and of course I wasn't assuming that the stock suspension would have to be re-used. Cheers.
You have no valid or informed point to argue. A vehicle like that sits on a trailer behind a tow rig because its purpose built for wheeling, not being comfortable on the street. Axle tube spring perches have to be modified for your choice of lift springs, so yes they do have something to do with clearance.