• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce to Tractor conversion?

I am thinking up plans for the Deuce when I get her going. I'm in need for a tow vehicle for my M3A1 Halftrack and am considering modding the Deuce for this purpose by removing the bed and adding a 5th wheel hitch if it's feasable. What I'm not clear on is how much will it tow and would it be safe provided I added proper trailer brakes? I seen a thread on here and done a search but I couldn't find out. I suspect the Track and Trailer will weigh about 23,000 lbs. I live in an area with hills, long grades and many curves. I would like to be able to take the Track to some shows and I think the Deuce would look great towing it. It's a M35A2 Turbo.

RAYZER

I love Deuce tractors! You can click on the thread link under my avatar to see and read about the year long deuce tractor conversion project that i recently finished.
In my opinion, 23,000 lbs on a long hill is going to slow a deuce down to a crawl.
I built my deuce tractor specific to pull my m146 trailer which weights in at around 10,000 lbs, i can run 55mph easy when on flat ground but, when i encounter hills,it's a bit or a struggle.
So far i have taken one 200 mile round trip with the rig,and will embark on a 900 mile round trip to the Ga rally in a few days.
It's only my opinion,but a 23,000 lb load may be better suited for a 5 ton.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the gas M275 tractor, the data plate claims the gross trailer weight can be 36,000 lbs. Encouraged by this, I dropped a 200 hp LDS into my M275A2 tractor years ago, hoping for a capable rig. The rig would go 55 mph at almost 45,000 GCVW, but the turbocharger was at full boost even on the flats and the gear cases started to glow cherry red. It was obvious to me this was not going to stay glued together for long. I bought a M915 and now I worry about nothing except the $150 a month insurance bill.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a previous owner of a strong running M275A2, I can say with certainty that towing 23,000# with a deuce is nerve racking. Towing 15,000# is more headache that I enjoy. I live in SoFL and just the overpasses scrub off considerable speed. Your mileage may vary.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the above comments. With the number of M931/932 tractors available now at reasonable prices, one of those would be a better fit for the job. That is what I have to haul the V100 around. They are still MV slow, not long-haul vehicles.
If you like the older style, there are still lots of M818s out there.

For longer or highway-speed trips, as suggested by NDT the 915 is a better option.

Cheers

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go with a 5 ton.
I towed a Deuce with my Deuce one time up some long hills and it will get down to a crawl....... On one hill I got down to 20 mph and that was only 12,000lbs.:oops:
Sure it was 110 degrees.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search on here for the term "M48A2", a user here took a deuce and made a clone of an early tractor model called the M48. It was standard deuce wheelbase, unlike the M275 tractor which was SWB. He did a very nice job, but I think all he had in mind to haul was light loads.

I would NOT recommend a deuce tractor for hauling a half-track. While it can be done, that's a LOT of weight on the rear that will have to be pulled up hills, and slowed down at stops. While using a deuce that you already have makes sense to you, you will think differently when you have to do a panic stop at a traffic light, and there's a vanload of kids in front of your underbraked truck/trailer. The lawyers representing the dead and mangled kids won't care you saved a lot of hassle by making a tractor yourself out of a deuce, they will take you for everything you have, and toss you in the brig too.

I highly recommend a 5-ton tractor, the M931 series tractors are easy to drive, and are going for cheap money at auction compared to the cost and hassle of modifying a deuce for a purpose it's not suited for. Plus, since it's a tractor already, the frame and suspension is already set up for large loads. And the braking system is much more stout.

Your location says SW Virginia. I lived in Blacksburg/Christiansburg for 5 years, so I know the surrounding hills, and you will need all the towing power and braking power you can get to deal with those long hills.

My two cents.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add to Maddawg's comment- having a truck that was factory built as a tractor, as opposed to a home-conversion (no matter how will done) removes one argument the money-grubbers can use against you.

Cheers

lost in the bush

If you decide to go back to idea.. We are taking the 5th whell off a newly acquired 900 series tractor.

$100.00 for 5th wheel and related stuff.

Never mind already taken by other Member

Last edited:

wilogger

Just wondering why a 2 1/2 ton (that meets DOT standards trailer included) shouldn't haul 23,000 lbs ? I could see the hills slowing you down, they slow my Mack log truck down also when i'm grossing 98,000 lbs. Anyway are the brakes and engine that weak that a 12 ton load is unsafe to haul? Just curious, as i was thinking of getting a deuce to haul my equipment with.

Autocar

Deuce is too underpowered to haul a halftrack. I tried an M818 and it was too underpowered also. Couldn't make it up to full speed on a level highway. If turned up IP and/or added turbo would probablly do ok. I ended up finally with an M915A1. Although the M818 looks better, the M915A1 is the way to go. Cheap, plenty of power, reasonably comfortable.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering why a 2 1/2 ton (that meets DOT standards trailer included) shouldn't haul 23,000 lbs ? I could see the hills slowing you down, they slow my Mack log truck down also when i'm grossing 98,000 lbs. Anyway are the brakes and engine that weak that a 12 ton load is unsafe to haul? Just curious, as i was thinking of getting a deuce to haul my equipment with.

Just think, 136 horsepower and air assisted hydraulic drum brakes with a single circuit brake system. Given enough time it will perform the function, but plan on extra hours each day. Backing up a load with the armstrong steering system on a regular basis wil test your mettle too!

I forgot to add I haul 12 ton loads with my F350 all the time safely DOT approved, and thought a deuce would do a better job, but maybe not?
I'm not up on DOT stuff here but your F350 can tote 24,000# legally? Not doubting you, just didn't know they could do that much weight.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I'm not up on DOT stuff here but your F350 can tote 24,000# legally? Not doubting you, just didn't know they could do that much weight.

We have several customers here that have 26,000lbs tags on thier F350's, my dad being one of them. Federal inspections due to the wieght and go over the scales every time they pass them. He hauls a goose neck, enclosed box, 2 axle trailer. Most of the time full of furniture for his auction buisness. I would think if it wasn't DOT approved that they all would have gotten tickets by now as tight as they are at the scales. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks