• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tow Bar

cbvet

Anybody got "plans" for making a deuce tow bar?
I'm getting another deuce with no brakes. It's only about 25 miles away, so I figure I could just tow it with my 1970 M35.
I've never seen a GI tow bar, or how it attaches.
Help appreciated!
Eric Wendt

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have the adapter pieces to attach the tow bar to the front lifting brackets. Had to buy a whole pallet of them from GL just to get a pair since nobody has them in stock. Let me know if you need a pair when you fab up a tow bar, they are a must. I picked up my towbar from AV equipment for $150. You can probably make 1 for alot cheaper. Mine weighs about 150lbs so that will tell you how much material you need. As for plans, My towbar is adjusted to about 6' long from the bumper mounts to the pintle end. Hope that helps.

hummin2london

I'll take a pair of the tow bar brackets if you can spare a set. I've access (read, can have one free) to three tow bars, but no way to attache them to the truck!

Cheers!

cbvet

Brackets?

WOW!
A quick response as always!
Problem is, you guys mention "brackets". I have no idea how the tow bar attaches. Do you know of a drawing or picture showing this? or any TM with instructions?
Is the one for $150 a good fit for this application?
There's no real rush, as the deuce is stored indoors for now.
Hmmmm.... Maybe I could make up the cost of the tow bar by using one Deuce to tow the other to parades & such...
Thanks again guys,
Eric Wendt

rdixiemiller

Djfreema said:
I have the adapter pieces to attach the tow bar to the front lifting brackets. Had to buy a whole pallet of them from GL just to get a pair since nobody has them in stock.

How 'bout a price on 2 pair of brackets? I can build them, but it would be easier to buy them from you if not too high.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow, I thought I would have trouble trying to off load these things. I have 5 pairs of the big adapters that are used for the 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton tow bar (rated at 78000 lbs)and I have 8 pairs of the smaller type for the hummer (rated at 14,500 lbs). I would like to get $50.00 a pair for the big ones since I have $450 invested in these things between purchase price and shipping costs. Saturn surplus has them listed at $75 per adapter but they are out of stock like everybody else. PM me if you are intersted in a set. I must add that I had to modify my set to work with the towbar I have (very old). The hole size that attaches to the tow bar is 1 1/2", the size that attaches to the truck is the standard 1" pin. It was an easy mod, I just welded 1" bushings into the 1 1/2 inch hole. Each adapter weighs about 10 lbs and I would be shipping from zip code 91350, either UPS, USPS, or Fedex, your choice. The smaller adapters have a 3/4" hole that attaches to the hummer etc and a 1 1/2" hole that attaches to the towbar. I would post a pic if I knew how, sorry. Most of them are brand new. some are just scratched up. I figure $30.00 a pair for the smaller adapters. Devin

Desert Rat

I'm contacting my buddy Ken here in Houston A.S.A.P.!!!!!! We need a set for the Deuce and five ton!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just a quick update, Ive got 3 sets set aside for people who say they want them, only 2 sets of the big ones left, Send me a PM and Ill send you confirmation and payment info. Thanks,Devin

Desert Rat

Ken wants to hold one set of each so he can re-measure the holes in our tow bar and get the correct set. Is that ok? Let me know.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok fellas, Desert Rat got the last reservation for the big pieces. The smaller pieces are the same size on the tow bar end, same demensions they just have a smaller truck end but can be drilled out and reinforced to work just as well, so if you are desperate you can make the other ones work with a welder/drill press etc. Ive got Hookin1, Hummin 2 London,Bkoyle, Ida34, and Desert rat down for reservations. If there are any cancellations I will let you know.

cbvet

What about me?

You know, when I asked about a Deuce tow bar, I was looking to set one up for myself. Now, since I brought it up, Devin's had a chance to sell all his mounting brackets ( which I guess I need a set of too), & I STILL don't know how a tow bar mounts, or how it's best designed.
Oh well. I'll figure something out.
Eric Wendt

Hookin1

cbvet,
I wish i had some pictures but i can't find any where. If you can wait till this weekend i will get some picture from the national gaurd and see if i can get a copy of the tm manual.

h1crwchf

What about me?

cbvet said:
You know, when I asked about a Deuce tow bar, I was looking to set one up for myself. Now, since I brought it up, Devin's had a chance to sell all his mounting brackets ( which I guess I need a set of too), & I STILL don't know how a tow bar mounts, or how it's best designed.
Oh well. I'll figure something out.
Eric Wendt
I will upload the TM to the towbar in the manuals section. I too am looking for a towbar with brackets. If anyone has one they are willing to part with East of the Mississippi, please PM me. Thanks
Dave

h1crwchf

TM

I uploaded the TM, you will be able to view it if it is approved. I like this manual, short sweet, to the point and plenty of illustrations! The TM is from 1972, hope this helps. Again, if anyone has a towbar they are willing to sell and you are relatively close to VA, please PM me. Thanks.
Dave