• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tractor with civvy 28' pup trailer?

rubicon_in_ga

Just spitballing ideas here, looking for input. Let's say for argument's sake, that I had a M275 or an M48 clone (M35 converted to a tractor). I'm aware that the ideal trailers to put behind these trucks are the shorter 6 ton trailers, like the M146. My ideal combination would be an M275, and an M146 converted to a camper. Since those trailers are hard enough to come by in decent shape, has anybody ever tried using a 28' LTL Pup trailer, like the one's FedEx and UPS use? They look similar in size, and I know nobody would mistake it for a military trailer, but with the right paint job, and some military style tires, would it look all that out of place behind a Deuce tractor? I would think it'd be a lot cheaper to make up a used 28' pup to 'look' military and convert to a camper than it would to find a surplus military trailer, refurbish it, and then convert it. Just a guess. Like I said, just spitballing ideas and curious what ya'll think?

Of course, the other issues would be the fact that a 28' pup would have straight air brakes, necessitating larger or additional air tanks on the tractor, and I also don't know if the kingpin is the same size as the military trailers, electric system/hookups, etc. So anybody have any input? Thanks!

dmetalmiki

Go for it, you need a camper, and you would have an exellent very usable truck and trailer to show off. I converted my M54A2 to have a russian radio body, converted it to full camping facilities, suits me, impressive at shows, well satisfied.

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893 Has a M275 and 2 military van trailers listed in his "Fire Sale" classified ad . He might make you a good package deal. He is just over the GA.line in Alabama do not too far from you.

Civilian trailer use's 2 inch king pin common size . Civilian trailer with air brakes and easy to find brake parts . Pulling a full air brake trailer behind a truck with hydraulic brakes is a good feeling . Good idea.

rubicon_in_ga

@Porky
Oh, believe me, I've been eyeing Wreckerman's M275 for a long time. Unfortunately I'm halfway through paying for a 2010 Mustang GT I bought a couple years ago, and my Deuce dream is on hold for the moment, but every spring I get the itch and start dreaming again. I've also been eyeing the M275 that Eastern Surplus has refurbished, but the price is WAY more than I want to spend, especially considering it'll be a 'play' not a 'work' vehicle. I could totally see buying the one Eastern has if I needed it for business use, but $12.5k is a lot of money for a toy, not to mention the additional expense of buying a trailer and converting it to a camper. If I had the cash, Wreckerman's would already be in my driveway! lol

@Topo
Just curious, why do you say pulling an air brake trailer with a hydraulic brake truck is a good feeling? I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic or serious, so assuming you're serious, why is that?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M275 has the standard small fifth wheel. It will pull all of the older trailers and most of the new ones. You can pull a straight air brake trailer as long as you don't pump the brakes a lot.

And yes, I do have a very nice M275 that needs rehoming to help me finance my movie.

One of the trailers has been sold but I have one left that is period correct for the M275 and already insulated and wired for 110/220.

PM for details or email me through the site for pictures.

It's good because if you have to park on a hill you have a better brake set up .S cam with maxes is much better then air over hydraulic or wedge brakes . If you loose your fluid on a hydraulic brake system truck you still have air for your trailer .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only concern is cornering. The civy trailer will get precariously close to the back of the cab.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will never have issues with the older military trailers as those are the ones the M275 were set up to pull.

I have seen civilian trucks hook to the older military trailers and not be able to turn due to the king pin setback.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks