• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Trailer question

NDDeuce

I've come to the conclusion that I would like to get a trailer for my M-35. The GL outlet has three M-1102's but which one is preferred? The 1102 or M-105 trailer? The ultimate goal is to turn this into a improvised tow behind camper for outings and future MV rallies ect...

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 105 is made for the deuce, the 1102 insn't. That being said, I think the 1102 would be easier to live with, as long as it has the cargo cover with it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Backing with a 105 is a PITA.. With a 1101/2, forget about it.. By the time you saw it jack knife, your bending metal....

Truckoholic

Is the 1102 pretty much the same dimensions as the M101? Because I know the M101 really is not big enough to be used as much of a camper. But the M105 has plenty of room in it to at least put two cots side by side or something.

Just a note about their size difference. The other day I decided I was going to go buy a four wheeler, or quad. I drive a Chevy suburban, so I needed to take one of my trailers to get it. I wanted to take the M101, but it had a friends dining room table in it, so I decided to take the M105 instead. Boy am I glad I did! When I got home I discovered that there was no way the quad would have fit between the wheel wells in the M101. I was surprised how much smaller the M101 was inside compared to the M105.

But yeah, while the M105 is pretty big and heavy if you intend to pull it with your regular vehicle, I think it is a much better choice for pulling behind your M35. And you can usually get them cheaper because they are not in such high demand as the smaller lighter ones.

NDDeuce

Thank You folks for the info. I'm a noob when it comes to trailering the deuce, I'll continue to look around for the '105 since that is the one thats preferred.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely go with the 105 trailer. It is a PITA to back up if you have the cover on the deuce. Without the cover, it is still a pain, but if you have any skills at backing a trailer it isn't that bad because then you can see the trailer. Pulling the 105 behind the Deuce makes you plan where you pull into more carefully! The room in the 105 is great. Don't, however, plan on pulling it with a pickup.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Anytime you are backing a deuce up you should be in Low Range......this will keep the truck from bucking and jumping around and will give you more time to react to the movement of the trailer.

The truck turns a lot easier when it is rolling and you don't need as much "Armstrong Steering" to maneuver it around.

When I was road testing soldiers ( I was a Master Driver and License Examiner) if they did not put the vehicle in low to back up they failed the test.

It is easier for me to back a Peterbuilt with a 53 foot trailer than a deuce with a M105 behind it....a short trailer will make a fool out of the best driver.

Clay James

It's definitely a PITA it is to back a 105. Usually when I see the side of the trailer, it's already too late. I've seen one person attach a little metal flag on the side to see what the trailer is doing. My record is backing one about 75 yards in one try. Low range is already too fast. Wouldn't even consider doing it in high range. If you're looking for one to make into a camper try tracking down a hardtop like mine.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your object is to make a camper, AND you have fabricating skills, then > You should look for a 105 sized generator trailer (the type with two MEP002's or MEP003's on it). They are the same width as a regular 105, bit the flat area is 10 feet front to back (123 inches) vs 110 inches for the regular 105. The extra foot can make a difference in comfort. You could also look for an M448 trailer, but they are much harder to find.