• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Tranny Rebuild

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I yanked the tranny out of my A2C yesterday. Here are a couple of photos of one of the nicest pieces of equipment I've ever seen (not the truck). This little mini vertical winch made the job real easy, even for one Guy. Dropped it down and sat the tranny on a dolly and wheeled it out from under the truck.

Bought mine NOS, thanks to the help of 1958M274 and IronHorsetheGeneral.

Works extremely well, although it isn't quite perfect. I understand Recovry4x4's preference for an engine hoist now that I have some experience but I still like it and it will work for transfer cases too.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are thinking of rebuilding it, look at Saturn Surplus's web site. They seem to have most of what you are going to need cheaper than most other places.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a 2000 lb trans jack from HF is only $200 and a good investment if you have a bunch of friends who may need to 'rent' it. $195 for the brng/seal kit is full retail, you can do a lot better.

tom

Buzz

Man that hoist is a great tool. We used to open the windshield and back glass and set a tanker bar on the bottom of the frames and use a hoist that we could lower the trans to the ground. But that was 25 years ago. I guess you make do with what you have.[thumbzup]

steelandcanvas

Works extremely well, although it isn't quite perfect. I understand Recovry4x4's preference for an engine hoist now that I have some experience but I still like it and it will work for transfer cases too.
Can't understand how an engine hoist would work any better, but then I might not have the removal experience you and 4X4 have. All in all, it's a very well designed piece of "save your butt" equipment.

steelandcanvas

UPDATE: Club Member Randy and I stabbed the replacement tranny in last weekend, and I finished the rest up through the week. Took the A2C to the St. Patty's Day Parade in Denver and back home yesterday, no problems! Sure is nice to have a running MV again. Thanks to Randy for crawling around on that cold @$$ concrete in my shop, and to Gamagoat1 for lending me his Hoist Unit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news!

DieselBob

UPDATE: Club Member Randy and I stabbed the replacement tranny in last weekend, and I finished the rest up through the week. Took the A2C to the St. Patty's Day Parade in Denver and back home yesterday, no problems! Sure is nice to have a running MV again. Thanks to Randy for crawling around on that cold @$$ concrete in my shop, and to Gamagoat1 for lending me his Hoist Unit.
Nice to hear your back on the road.
Thanks to Randy for crawling around on that cold @$$ concrete in my shop,
Wish I had a cold @$$ concrete floor in a shop to crawl around on :-(