• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Trans/Clutch trouble

rsites

Lost all my drive gears, including reverse yesterday coming back from a Christmas Parade. Think it to be the clutch, but how can I make sure that's it and not the Transmission? Haven't been able to check the Clutch linkage yet, as it's in the 20's and blowing snow today. Seen some posts that ODIRON.COM was a good place to get clutch parts if needed? Out of commission in Va. :cry:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Meaning, when the shifter is in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and reverse you get nothing?

Assuming there aren't horrendous death noises coming from the trans, that is likely clutch (unless something like the input shaft snapped).

You can try adjusting the clutch (directions are in the TM and it's simple-there is also a blurb about proper adjustment in PS Magazine), first, but odds are the clutch is toast.

OD Iron does have the good clutches. There are different models out there (3 and 4 puck). There are some threads on the forum about clutches.

old fender

Good morning rsites
First time on , This is a fantactic site for info and the members are usually on top of their game . Hope this helps I had to replace my trans. and clutch within the first 200 miles of getting my first deuce. I used ODIRON.COM and got excellent service as to best price, I don't Know you have to know which clutch friction plate you have to order the correct one . I am sure you already know to replace pilot if you get this far into it . Good Luck

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
No bad noises?, If not, and don't take this the wrong way, are you sure the transfer case is in high range? lever pulled all the way up? I've had a couple of trucks where the transfercase will come out of high range into neutral while driving. Something easy to check.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've bumped my truck out of gear at the transfer case before... Took me a little bit to figure out what happened. Other thing to check is driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case, they are known to lose bolts.

rsites

Trouble resolved

Thanks for all the posts guys, but I have officially awarded myself the DumbAss of the Week Award! With all the parade stuff I had on the seat I didn't notice the transfer case lever had been pushed down about 2 inches! That's all it was. :-D

waayfast

Oh no! Had you pulled an ok trans and ok clutch just to find NOTHING wrong---now that would have qualified you fer the D.A. of the week Award! (I happen to be a pro at that sort of thing)

(I dunno what happened--It was working right up to when it quit!) Jim

randyscycle

Glad it all is OK! Did the same thing with mine when I first got it too. Took a bit to realize what had happened......

Do check those shaft bolts though as that was the first thing to cross my mind. I have retightened mine a number of times and the shaft was ready to fall out when I got the truck home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe, guess I was right on that one. Remember, a worn transfer case will start pulling itself out of high range on deceleration or shifting.

devilman96

Man... that is SWEET!!! LMFAO!!!!

But yeah... putting the TC back into gear is sure easier than putting a clutch in!!

Thanks for all the posts guys, but I have officially awarded myself the DumbAss of the Week Award! With all the parade stuff I had on the seat I didn't notice the transfer case lever had been pushed down about 2 inches! That's all it was. :-D