• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce trans pushing/falling out of 5th...

6X6 ALL THE WAY

You guys make pullin trannies sound like its the end of the world sometimes. I work on dump trucks and there have been nights I've pulled out 2 eatons 8LL by myself. not fun

1stDeuce

All by yourself?? Man, that's gotta hurt when you lay under a big 10 speed and wiggle it back from the engine till it falls on your chest... I think the issue with most of us is that we lack the HD equipment that makes a tranny job on a big truck easier, hence the desire to not have to pull it...

I see I didn't post any update on my trans... It ended up just being a tired 4-5 synchro and 5th gear... No snapring issue. I replaced the mainshaft, 5th gear, and the 4-5 synchro. No issues now, other than it's stiff getting out of 1st and into 2nd, but that's not new.

Did it all from the top, by myself, in about three hours... No big deal, but some massive parts!! Made the NV4500 I rebuilt look like a Jeep trans!!
Thanks go out to M35Tom for helping with parts and advice, and I think I got a 5th gear from Boyce, IIRC. ?? Anyone that needs a mainshaft, I think still have the one I took outl... Ended up replacing it with a new one that had the same "wear" marks as my used shaft... Pretty sure mine was new and the wear marks were machining marks. The output bearing came off the back pretty easily, and went onto the new shaft almost just as easily.

Some pics for your enjoyment... Ok, so I did have a helper!! :) (Thanks Dakota!)
C

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the wear marks you refer to are on one side of the spline the syncro goes on? they are there to help hold it in gear when decelerating. when accelerating the play in things tends to pull the 4/5 hub into the gear as most have seen by the shifter wanting to move forward. usually wear on the 4/5 hub and 5th gear is the problem. glad to hear you got it fixed, these trans are real easy to work on and a $200 trans jack from harbour freight makes taking them out a snap.

tom

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I don't have the greatest tools and I mosting work outside. Last tranny I put back in by myself the tranny jack broke at 3:00am and the truck had to be on the road at 6:30am. that wasn't fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks