• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Transmission

47to70

While this is my first real post, have done a whole lot of reading here and much appreciate all the info gained. Last time out in "my new to me" deuce it developed a loud chatter in 5th gear. Did research on here and when I popped the lid on the transmission -------------sure enough had a busted tooth on the lower side of 5th gear. As I understand it from my reading here, am better off looking for a good used trans then trying to rebuild it?

Have to get used to my new rank on here, last one held was Gy/Sgt.

Coldpan35

When my transmission went I just bought a good take out I've had no problems with it at all yet. But if you want to buy a rebuilt one they range in price from 1k to 1500.

SEAFIRE

We have switched these out several times.

And have gotten good at rebuilding them ourselves.

We got the tranny parts at Boyce Equipment.

fpchief

Gunny, I tore up my transmission one evening while on a joy ride. Went to a salvage yard in central georgia and got a take out and have been happy with it. I actually broke the main shaft on the transmission. I did all the work myself and having done it, I can swap a trans now by myself in a day.

Oorahh,
Kip

brianp454

I can confirm this is realistic IF nothing goes long such as having cross-threaded bolts on the output flange and not having a torch handy.
If there's anything I would have done differently, I would have removed one or more seat rather than working around them.

I recall there are pics of when I did it on my truck in the "what you did to your deuce today" thread.

In tinkering with these trucks, you can get that time down to 2 hours.

DavidWymore

The first trans i pulled in a dirt lot in the middle of nowhere took me and a buddy half a day. Didn't do enough homework.

The other night, I dropped my trans, rebuilt it with new bearings and parts from a couple other transes, and reinstalled it. Finished before the sun came up. Like gimp said, not hard once you get the hang of it. I figured out how to snake an 18v DeWalt impact up in the frame to buzz the 1/2" bolts on the jack shaft flanges on and off quickly.

You could pull the main shaft out with it in the truck, replace 5th, and drop it back in.

Waterloo is m35tom here on the forum, has parts and advice.

http://www.waterloospecialties.com/overdrive/transapart.html

DavidWymore

Thanks Dave------good info-----have new used trans on the way, but will fix the old one next winter, when I get "a-round-tuit."
10-4. On the one hand, it would probably actually be less work to pull the main with it in the truck, but would be good to go through the whole trans anyway. I have not had good luck with them, which is why I'm getting good at working on them. Need to get the upgraded stuff from Tom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks