• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Transmission

markpeltier

Low Range High Range Problems: The Transmission will not stay in High Range. As I drive down the road it will slip out and i haft to stop and pull the lever up to high and then i can start moveing again. Dose anyone know how to fix this problem?

Opie

My redneck fix is tying the lever to the seat in the high position with rope.

Gotta troubleshoot/fix this...

Jones

Think there's a spring-loaded ball that drops into a detent. That spring might be broken on yours and the detent isno able to do it's job. Glanced at the TM section and it looks like it may be accessable under a square cover with four bolts and a breather cap, close to where the lever control rod goes into the transfer case.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
markpeltier said:
Low Range High Range Problems: The Transmission will not stay in High Range. As I drive down the road it will slip out and i haft to stop and pull the lever up to high and then i can start moveing again. Dose anyone know how to fix this problem?
Mark Peltier
Fort Gratiot, MI
Mark,
Contact Desert Rat. He had this EXACT PROBLEM while on the road. He drove from Greenvile, Kentucky to Houston, Texas in LOW GEAR (transfer case). At a WHOPPING 28 mles per hour. He has YET to live that down.

BUT he knows what happened and HOW to fix it. IS this a Sprag transfer case or an air shift transfer case? I believe DR just swapped in an air shift in place of his Sprag. So, contact Brent (DR) and he will be happy to help.

He just returned from Howard Hammonds again (Greenville, Ky) for the second time this summer. Uneventful and only took two days.

hope that helps

jim

FSBruva

wallew said:
Contact Desert Rat. He had this EXACT PROBLEM while on the road.
jim-

Pay close attention to his symptoms. DR was unable to even get his tranfer case into high range, let alone stay there. markpeltier is experiencing a difficulty keeping it in high range. I would like to think that DR would have been smart enough to rig a piece of string to keep his lever in high range, if that was the only problem.

As jones said, it is a problem with the detent that keeps the lever from moving. I have driven a few deuces, and I have seen more than one bungee cord or similiar apparatus on the seat to keep the lever in the high position.

Matt

devilman96

RE: Re: Deuce Transmission

After seeing my TC I say detent also... However you should go one step further and clean up the shift linkage's swivel points also. That bouncy bouncy bouncy flipidity flopitidy flip (say that fast 3 times) is what is screwing up the detent to begin with.

I had something pointed out to me also not to long ago... Strapping a bungee / rope to the shift lever and leaving it there is We Todd Did (sorry) Your putting constant force on the shift forks to hold the gear forward which eats up the forks and then eventually causes them to spread open. Once they pop past the gear then you end up with low and nothing else if your lucky!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TC popping out of high range

This is how our TC look like after some time with a to strong bungee cord preventing it to pop out of high range! Once the little clutch teeth got worn to a trapezoidal shape like they appear in the picture, it’s over. Replace parts or better(cheaper&faster) the whole TC.

Gerhard

Attachments