• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Trip from MD to CA

m109a2

I drove my deuce 1,200 miles home took 5 days really was in no hurry in fact it was a blast.The guys here are great and hit the mark on what to drag with you and I would like to add, road flares,camping stuff,warm clothing,If thermometer to check everything,lots of 52mph food and water,cardbord to lay on when checking everything,air gage,and a WAKA WAKA (a cool little device solar charger and flashlight snag on on amozon).You do what you want but if you do not have convoy lights I would only dive when visible swift drivers are not used to us,We just lost a member this way.Oh yea three in a deuce for that long a run bring boxing gloves lol. Good luck and have fun.Al

fasttruck

Don'y ride the clutch or lug the engine. As others have said check for loose bolts especially any associated with the alternator or the bracket that holds the alternator on the side of the engine. Also look at all flange bolts on all drive shafts particularly the one between the transmission and the transfer case. These like to loosen up and if a drive shaft falls out: oh well. I would liberally grease all u joints before starting out. I got 40k miles on a m 818 in service with no breakdowns on the road. However truck was subject to, by military standards, an intensive pm program.

cobra5

I've seen these posts many times and always wondered, why would you buy a vehicle located on the opposite end of the country? I understand the guys in the rust belt coming out west or going south to find a nice truck, but to go from So Cal to the east coast. :shrugs: I'm sure you can find a truck just as nice that's closer, its not like they are rare.

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is in quite nice shape. It is a M35A2C, so it has the split braking system. The truck has been gone through and redone within the last five years. The seller is a member on here and so far seems very trust worthy. A bit of background on myself and my two buddies, I am a former rotary car tuner and traveled North America tuning cars for a few years, along with a lot of kart and car racing. I'm currently back in construction and my partners and myself spend plenty of time driving, and unfortunately it is usually 4 hours a day or trips of 4-6 hours one way. Now, driving in a deuce with a decent muffler, that isn't the same as a later model half broken down Ford or Dodge. One of the guys is a former tire shop manager and is very familiar with the larger vehicle wheels and tires (plus he is a 270lbs weight lifter).

A quick walk around of the vehicle can be seen here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLKoSXzpeOA&feature=youtu.be

The truck has LED taillights and turn signals right now, but it wouldn't hurt to slap a strip of reflective tape across the back of the truck (for the trip).

With all of the pointers, I plan to bring, more than just a quart of each fluid, spare belts, fuel filters, a mounted spare (the current owner did that today), reflective markers (he has those for me), ear protection, hand tools (including a geared lug wrench), first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, food, drinking water,

For those of you mentioning your driving distance each day, it seems everyone is doing their trip solo, is that the case? With two people, you cannot cover twice the ground, but definitely a lot more distance can be traveled in one day, compared to a solo driver. We do plan for five or so days driving, and have several more days available if we need to take the extra time.

The deuce has greyhound bus seats, so they should be about 2% more comfortable, but is the width really that narrow? My partner that served said it wasn't a big deal, as they always had three in the front. We drive to jobsites with three in the front and three in the back and that is in a regular full size truck.

I'll be taking the 70 to the 76 to the 80. We will be traveling sometime between November 5 through November 23 (it's still in the air based on peoples schedules).

Each person gets two checked bags and a carry on for the plane ride over, so we are planning on checking the tools, since it is easier than carrying a 50lb bag of tools, that probably wont get through TSA.

Keep the tips coming, as I have a few weeks to get ready for the trip.

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cobra5, finding a nice truck that is close, is hard to do for a good price. I'm one that enjoys an adventure too.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you mentioning your driving distance each day, it seems everyone is doing their trip solo, is that the case? With two people, you cannot cover twice the ground, but definitely a lot more distance can be traveled in one day, compared to a solo driver. We do plan for five or so days driving, and have several more days available if we need to take the extra time.
The problem is there's only 24 hours in a day. In a perfect world you can do maybe 500 miles in 10 hours. In the real world, you get slowed by traffic, hills, have to get fuel, eat. etc. So now maybe 400 miles in 12 hours if you are lucky. If everything hangs together, you can do 800 miles a 24 day. I can't imagine sitting in a deuce 24 hours a day for 5 days! I drove mine about 400 miles and in took ~16 hours. But, I had to stop and fix a few things...

The deuce has greyhound bus seats, so they should be about 2% more comfortable, but is the width really that narrow? My partner that served said it wasn't a big deal, as they always had three in the front. We drive to jobsites with three in the front and three in the back and that is in a regular full size truck.
Maybe someone could post a measurement of the inside distance door to door and you guys could stand shoulder to shoulder and decide if you can fit with the windows closed. Keep in mind the transmission shifter has to move.

Sounds like an adventure! Take pictures.

Good luck.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 1000 miles to do in my M923. I'm planning a departure Saturday before noon, and arrival late Monday night. I'm probably somewhat optimistic...

I've got a 340 mile trip tomorrow. It'll take every bit of 10 hours....

TB58

I drove alone, but honestly I wouldn't have wanted to be in that cab much longer than I was. Not a whole lot of leg room to stretch out in. I can get a measurement tomorrow. It would be possible to get three in there, but comfort would be tough.

Watch how hard you drive it your EGTs will melt the pistons they usually like 2100 to 2200 rpms and like everyone has said go over the brakes and carry fluids and tools with ya and a fire extinguisher if it doesn't have one get one have a safe trip and good luck Murphys always lurking about ask me how I know.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You have gotten lots of great tips here.
But, since your flying in, you will be short of a lot of stuff. Just because you check a bag, they still have a weight limit. They have a excess weight baggage fee.
24 volt system. Cig lighter? Maybe a 12 volt solar charger for your phone
smart phone, laptop, map out your route.
fire extinguisher
break down road triangles
flares
distilled water
coolant
filters, fuel and oil
belts
24 volt bulbs
15w-40 oil, gallons
80-90 gear oil
grease gun
5 gallon can for diesel fuel. Never totally trust the gauge way out on the open road.
food & water
cooler
tire gauge
flashlight
in ear plugs
setup a truck tool kit (you might as well buy it in MD, since at one time or another you will set one up.)
and all the great tips from here

Good luck with your trip.

Artisan

Lets fill the bed w/ green crap destined for us on
the best coast, and along the way perhaps,
and help pay for fuel! ;-) Heck grab a trailer too!

SS Express Pony Express Addition!

(...but indeed you need to up the allotted time frame A LOT,
and consider leaving soldier C at home till you hit just west
of the Mississippi then fly in said fresh soldier C and honorably discharge your
beat up, worn out "I ain't neva' gonna ride in one of them
things eva again.
" soldier B. (Do not let soldier B talk to soldier C
during the hand off or soldier C might go AWOL. )

Be sure to check EVERY FLUID LEVEL EVERYWHERE PRIOR
to headin' out west. Know your fluids BEFORE you go.
What fluid is in the tranny?
KNOW the fuel filter system and how to prime. A spare fuel tank should be bought
when you arrive (5-gallon kind) A rag for windshield fog.
Driving Gloves, glasses. Air gauge. Yank on all U-Joints and
ball type joints prior. Every 2-3 days get a motel. TP or just roadside
rock it. Iphone w/ NAPA and Diesel Fuel where-abouts apps.
Wear matching Camo long sleeve shirts, 3 laughing (fighting) clowns wearing
Hawaian shirts could cause unwanted "Imperial Entanglements". By pass weigh
stations. Use the force when in close proximity to Storm"troopers"
avoiding eye contact w/ said at all costs. Google Maps App. Library's
are good places to get online. Ask a moderator how to post a HELP post
if things go south along the way. A chain and lock for steering wheel.
Pack lots of luck. :)

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has box seat and bench and it's about 53" across , drivers is around 18" bench is 35" tight fit for 3 on long journey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks