• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce turn signal and oil gauge problems.

PawnShopEd

Hey guys I've been working on getting all the small problems my duece had fixed for winter and in general. Got the weather stripping all in and new 60psi oil sending unit, new oil pressure gauge and turn signal flasher.... turn signals still dont work and the oil pressure gauge still doesn't work.

I put a new gauge in and then didn't know the oil sending unit could be 120 or 60. So I pulled the sending unit yesterday and put a new 60psi unit in to match the gauge. if you flick the power switch you can see the gauge move to 0 but thats all it does.

The turn signals worked when I bought the truck then became speratic the light on the colom would flash here or there and then so would the turn signals. So I bought a new flasher module, cleaned the ground cleaned the spot on the inner fender. Mounted the unit back and still nothing. I have a parts duece I took the steering wheel switch out of and plugged it in.... the light on this one lights up but there is no turn signal response.

Any idea's?

dabtl

You either have a short in the wires or dirty grounds. I replaced all the grounds on all the lights on one deuce. It did not clear up until the very last bolt and washer were installed.

New bolts, new inside/outside star washers and some work solve most of the grounding problems.

PawnShopEd

Well it may if befuzzalated me as well because I didn't know there was one lol the ground to the column as in the metal strap to the blinker switch or somewhere else

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the ground of the switch to the column. This one has befuzzelated me a couple of times.
Check the wiring diagram.... I see just 8 wires/terminals and no indication (reason) for the switch to be connected to ground.

G.

PawnShopEd

Clean the column under the worm clamp. Good place to start.
The second Turn signal switch I hooked up wasn't even hooked to the column and it the light came on but turn signals didn't work.

Yet the one hooked to the worm clamp's light to indicate on didn't even turn on solid like the one not hooked up and still didn't work. I'll hook my power probe up and hook the ground cable directly to the worm clamp. And see if that works.

820jeep

[
Originally Posted by kc8sfq
Don't forget the ground of the switch to the column. This one has befuzzelated me a couple of times.

Check the wiring diagram.... I see just 8 wires/terminals and no indication (reason) for the switch to be connected to ground.

G. /QUOTE]
I work on 1/4 Jeeps for a living. If the Switch on the column of a M-151A1/A2 is not grounded, it can cause all kinds of problems. This is the same switch used on the M-35. And yes i would double check the grounds at the lights also.

PawnShopEd

[
Originally Posted by kc8sfq

G. /QUOTE]
I work on 1/4 Jeeps for a living. If the Switch on the column of a M-151A1/A2 is not grounded, it can cause all kinds of problems. This is the same switch used on the M-35. And yes i would double check the grounds at the lights also.
So the ground strap - worm is hooked all through plastic mounts on the switch mount. How does it ground if it's hooked to plastic. As well it worked prior to yesterday spiratically. would, wouldn't, would light solid, and the brake light would turn off if the turn signal was on and not working. So the signal box is new, the ground there is clean, the flasher unit I have two to work with, and just ordered a new one last night. Any other recommendations other then this ground and the ground on each and every light?

dabtl

The second Turn signal switch I hooked up wasn't even hooked to the column and it the light came on but turn signals didn't work.

Yet the one hooked to the worm clamp's light to indicate on didn't even turn on solid like the one not hooked up and still didn't work. I'll hook my power probe up and hook the ground cable directly to the worm clamp. And see if that works.
The electricity is looking for the nearest ground to go through. It does really weird stuff on the deuce. This is the kind of thing to make you crazy.

My advice: Check every ground and clean them. I have been driven insane with this stuff before. I am writing this from the ward room at the asylum.

PawnShopEd

Lol I'm starting to feel that way... Got the oil pressure gauge to work the gauge back wasn't tight tightened it and works fine now.

On the turn signal I hooked my power probe up and put the ground lead sending wise right on the worm clamp then tried the flasher unit ground... Same thing as earlier. I just tried testing the leads on the flasher back twords the wiring there was one hot and all neg minus two with no signal of power and or ground. Turned the headlights off and running lights on to make sure the lamps lit.... Which they all did and nice and bright. I cleaned all electrical connections and put dielectric grease in all of the connections I put dielectric grease. Still no change. I did notice one of the wires going into the flasher module is bare right at the Jack tested it and it shows a ground signal. I've checked every ground I see....any ideas? I'm about to join you in the asylumn.... Worst part is I have no complaints on this Duece no problems anywhere minus this turn signal and one wheel that ate a valve stem runs strong n all just this lol

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PawnShopEd,

Sounds like you are jumping all over, and not having too much luck. It looks like you checked most of the grounds and all that kind of good stuff. At the risk of starting another pi$$ing match, the TM has a really good trouble shooting section in it for the turn signals and lights.

Personally, I don't like it, because it's not the way I was taught to troubleshoot, but it does work. Another member Poppop went through a very similar problem not long ago, and we were able to get him going again pretty quickly, here is a link to the thread "need help with turn signals". Here are some things to look for and try.

I assume that your wires are tagged and you can make out the numbers?

Terminal "G" (wire # 460-461) on your turn signal lever is the turn signal input coming from the three lever switch. When the 3 lever switch is in either stop light or service drive operation you should have 24 volts on this wire...if you do not, your 3 lever switch may be bad

Terminal "F" (wire #467B) should be the "flasher input", when the 3 lever switch is in stop light or service drive operation, AND you have the turn signal switch activated either left or right, you should have a solid 24 volts on this wire....if not your turn signal switch may be bad

Terminal "H" (wire # 467A) should be the "flasher output", when you have the 3 lever in stop light or service drive operation AND the turn signal lever activated either left or right, as long as you have 24 volts on the above wire # 467B, you should have a "flashing" 24 volts on this wire. If you have the solid 24 on the 467B and no "flashing" 24 volts on this wire your flasher is bad or has a bad ground.

I know this seems like a complicated response, but it's pretty simple to follow. If you have any other issues or questions fire away, but I would do the above first and see what voltages you have and where.

PawnShopEd

On my 82 deuce i had the same problem , all it was was the bulbs in the turn signal.
In the blinker switch or the actual turn lamps on the truck? Cause both of mine arn't working.

And I haven't had a chance to check the wiring with the probe due to nast weather the last few days but hopefully can try it tommorrow sped. I'm hopeing it works lol.

bryan70546

In the blinker switch or the actual turn lamps on the truck? Cause both of mine arn't working.

And I haven't had a chance to check the wiring with the probe due to nast weather the last few days but hopefully can try it tommorrow sped. I'm hopeing it works lol.
Sorry I had to change the bulbs in both front lamps some water had got in some how and rusted everything out , not saying this will fix your problem but its something you can look at , hope you get it fixed soon
Bryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks