• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce v. 5-ton for a bob-job

Pappa-G

I picked up my 105 trailer last thursday out of Lansing. I just need to get with Westfolk and get my springs, refill the O2 tank for the flame torch and find some rims for the 16x20's and I'm in!! HOTROD M818!:-D

militarytrux

Hello,

I have done both and I am happier with the duece, much lighter overall, does not get as much attention with the local athuorities and once I added the power steering to the duece I sold the 5-ton

There are many more things to consider along the way building and driving both I will stick with the duece's.

mtk

Hello,

I have done both and I am happier with the duece, much lighter overall, does not get as much attention with the local athuorities and once I added the power steering to the duece I sold the 5-ton

There are many more things to consider along the way building and driving both I will stick with the duece's.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the weight issue?

Did you bob both a 5 Ton and a Deuce? If so, how much did each version weigh, before and after the chop job?

Any other tidbits you can share would be most appreciated.

vsandmnv

5 ton

So does anyone sell the bobbed 5 tons? I don't have the means to make one, but we had a M35a2 and the guys at the local National Guard were good for helping us with parts. I would love this for some local hauling.. Besides the duece was a champ, so the five ton would be even better!

LOL

powersmoke18

John winslow!!!! thats who is doing mine!!! price wasnt bad and the truck looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! they do great work and are always a phone call away!!!!! great guys!!!!!!

BigggDog

a bobbed 5ton.....WOW, that would be so awesome.......I was thinking the exact same thing. Please post pics if you do decide on the 5ton. good luck with your buildup.

BigggDog

John winslow!!!! thats who is doing mine!!! price wasnt bad and the truck looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! they do great work and are always a phone call away!!!!! great guys!!!!!!
there it is.....thats awesome.....beautiful truck.

I need to make one after we finsh the project we are currently working on. It's a 1994 Chevy K2500 that will get 1600R20 DUALS front and rear on Rockwells for mudbogging.

gunit

my 5 ton weighs 22,350 with me, a hot dog, dr.pepper and a full tank of fuel, no cargo cover and with troop seats. has anybody left the frame full length and just remove the middle axle so you could still use the stock bed or move the rear axle half the distance from its stock location and where the middle axle was.

Abert

my 5 ton weighs 22,350 with me, a hot dog, dr.pepper and a full tank of fuel, no cargo cover and with troop seats. has anybody left the frame full length and just remove the middle axle so you could still use the stock bed or move the rear axle half the distance from its stock location and where the middle axle was.
I too would like to know if this has been done.

wdbtchr

Has anyone in MO bobbed a 5 ton? If so what did you have to go through to license and register? I was going to get a CDL, but can't pass the physical. I am considering bobbing the M54a2 to get it under CDL requirements.:roll:

SamM

Does anyone know if a 5-ton is legal to own and operate in WV without a CDL? I'm thinking that I would rather have the M925 over the M35A2. I can't pass the physical for the CDL either.

SamM

NickAir

Most all states regulate mandatory CDL's for ONLY vehicles with GVW over 26,001 lbs. and or air brake systems.

Neither the Deuce nor the 809 series 5 tons have air brakes. They have Air over Hydralic systems that don't qualify as the definition of air brakes.

In MOST states, 5 ton trucks bobbed are pickup trucks if licenced with less than 26,001 lbs GVW.

obee1kubota

M818 Tandem Shorty

I have been searching all over this site and have seen many completed 5 ton bobs as well as prospective bob job questions. Also the deuce versus 800 series choice comes out a lot.

The most unique job I have seen is a M818 left stock with a lengthened M101 trailer box that had custom tandem fenders made. To top it off he painted it like the General Lee and used it to haul his boat out of the water. I think he was from New Mexico and uses the truck as his avatar.

Is that overkill or what but how many here need a pick up that weighs 20,000lbs.

I am thinking of a M818 tractor with a custom built dumping flatbed for my firewood business. My 9 liter International just does not cut it in the winter. No traction with an empty single axle!

tobyS

Jcappeljr, have you thought about using the rear axle and 3 link suspension with air bags? It might benefit from a serious fourth member once the springs are removed, but looks "do-able" as an air ride. One could even cut rivets and remove bolts for the mount to move forward. I want the length for ride and towing. Rear frame and bed could be shortened with a dumper.

tobyS

I'm looking at removing the intermediate axle on a 923 cargo and using the three links with air bags on the rear. There would need to be a fourth link that has lateral stability, which I believe will mount very nicely to the existing frame that has the hole for a shaft on the same center line as the top third link. Sure would make a good kit as a four link/air bag conversion for those of us that have 5 tons. I'm off to take measurements for some 1" plate. Once working on mine... maybe sell a few.