• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce VIN

therbert

I have tried all the areas you guys suggested and still can not find the VIN. Does anyone have a pic that shows the location they found theirs.. I have a 1967 model.

Thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
yep....

In the top photo the VIN is the 0233 number

To see pic of a VIN stamped in the right side frame rail, take a look at the one Maccus posted of the VIN on his M34.

HTH,
David

Attachments

EdMontana

I got my M35A3 today,too many numbers...

I have no clue about the year, I found rebuild tags dating 1999 in front of transfer cases, also the contract number has a 99 on it....I have not found a tag with the year it was made, or better saying, rebuilt into A3....anyone know anything about it? Thanks!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: I got my M35A3 today,too many numbers...

Here's what i got:
Organization: 1ST BATTALION 130TH AVIATION COMPANY C

Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A3 NSN:2320013832047
Serial Number:505428 Registration Number:NK0MA1 Year of Mfg:Usage Miles: 3614

Unfortunately it the manufacturer was never completed. This was an acceptance input from Feb2002 but if the vehicle had 3614 miles on it, then it had already been used for awhile either by this unit (and they just got around to inputting it) or they received it from another unit (that had never put it into the system). All other trucks of this type with similar beginning SN of 5054 have manufacturing years of 1998 and 1999 with the ones immediately surrounding yours as 1998's. I am 99.9999% sure only AM General did the rebuild on the M35A3's. This would be your make--AM General. Your model for registation purposes is M35A3 and this is backed up by the Army database. You should not use M44A3...that for lack of better terms that come to my mind at 0500 in the morning, is the series of vehicles. Kinda like the M113 APC is a whole series of vehicles 901, 578, 577 etc.

David, do you concur with the assessment?

Hope that helps.
Dang that was an hour (ok 56 minutes) doing this truck. Good thing I'm not a shrink.
Pony up to the website donations point.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor

Uhhh, 1st sentence should read.
Unfortunately, the truck never had the manufacturer put into the database.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

AM General built many of the M35A3, but they were also built by the Army, in Mississippi, and IIRC, Kansas. But this particular truck is a 1998 AM General, with the registration number of NK0MA1. The numbers in IMG_3004.jpg are common to almost all the trucks, and I suspect are part numbers for the frame rails.

Regards,
David

EdMontana

I should had posted this plate

I got a better angle with my camera........I believe the year is 99, I don't know if my thinking is right, I have a Kaiser Jeep 1970 coming also that has the contract number DAAE06-70-C-001, note the "70"....the contract number on this A3 is DAAE07-99-D-M001, note the 99...

Now, th einformation I found on the Procurament Hystory Information 2320-01-383-2047 is that AM General sold 15 units in 1999/01 180 units in 1998/12 and 480 units in 1998/10...at $ 61,047.00. Now, don't know how acurate those prices are but the tag I found says that they paid $56,500.00. Also, anyone know what's the DTID number? in the auction they had it...W81KDP72087001

Yhanks for any help!

Attachments

EdMontana

RE: I should had posted this plate

BTW, thanks Medlog for the search!!! the truck now reads 3,772 miles

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: I should had posted this plate

EdMontana said:
I got a better angle with my camera........I believe the year is 99, I don't know if my thinking is right, I have a Kaiser Jeep 1970 coming also that has the contract number DAAE06-70-C-001, note the "70"....the contract number on this A3 is DAAE07-99-D-M001, note the 99...
No, this is not correct. This arguably the most common mistake made by folks trying to date their trucks. Trucks purchased under contract DAAE06-70-C-0001 were still being delivered (and built) in 1972, for example. The year code of the contract pertains to the fiscal year budget, not when the contract was fullfilled.

Here is the press release from the time about the contract pertaining to this truck (press release dated October 1998).

AM General Corp., South Bend, Ind., is being awarded a $26,045,400 firm-fixed-price contract for 400 remanufactured 2 1/2 ton M44A3 cargo trucks for the Extended Service Program. Work will be performed in South Bend**, Ind. (90%), and Livonia**, Mich. (10%), and is expected to be completed by Feb. 28, 1999. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This is a sole source contract initiated on Sept. 15, 1998. The contracting activity is the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive & Armaments Command, Warren, Mich. (DAAE07-99-D-M001).

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: I should had posted this plate

DTID is a Defense Turn In Document. It is a specific number used in tracking a property item through the system basically from the time the unit turned it over to DRMO to the time it was sold to you. It is not an important item.

EdMontana

Got my M35A2 in home!!

Truck is sweet! new painted, new cover, bag full of brand new tools, two manuals, extinguisher, all records since last overhaul in 1990 (3 binders), radiator just inspected and brand new coolant on it!!! Drive strong, brakes up hi and stop real straight.

GL said it was a 1970 in the ad, I cannot find anything that indicate that it is a 1970...look like that the hard part is to figure out the year than anything else on those trucks.

How about this plate Medlog?

Thanks!

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: Got my M35A2 in home!!

This drove me nuts for about 10 minutes. The SN in the photo looks like 10848 and that was what I pulled up and was ready to provide the info until i noticed the reg # didn't match. Then I had to relook using the reg #.

Here's what I got:
Originally belonged to 913th Engineer Company, Combat Support Equipment, TN Army National Guard, Union City, TN and was out processed through the TN ARNG property book office.

Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 NSN:2320000771616
Serial Number:52510948 Registration Number:4F58170 Year of Mfg:1970
Manufacturer:65909 Usage Miles: 40194

There ya go

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I'm gonna chime in here too since I've gotten lots of queries about "identification numbers."

This is the type of plate that seems to cause so much confusion with GL and DMV employees. It shows an "identification number" - which is a combination first of the registration number, then the VIN number. Only the VIN is stamped on the frame rail, and as such is the only number recognized by many states.

The registration number is the portion 4F58170. During this time period (1968-1972) the army handily included the year of production as the last two digits of the registration number - the 70 in this instance.

The true VIN of course is the 0525-10948.

FWIW, the folks at the guard in Union City are really nice, you may go by there and make yourself friendly, they may be able to tell you some things about your truck that are not logged.

Regards,
David Doyle

EdMontana

Thanks for the helpful search Medlog and explanation DDoyle, really appreciated!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks