• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce vs. civilian trailer wiring

rmgill

I'm sure I will be back with specific questions once I decide to go through with this project. I'm just happy to know that it can be done :-D
When planning anything like this, unless you can picture it in your head, sketch it out. That makes it easier to keep things straight. Check the TMs for the deuce wiring (last few pages iirc) and double check the wiring for the trailer. A 6 or 7 pin trailer wire cable is probably ideal. Those provide braking leads of the correct gauge, a power lead for the breakaway battery and the requisite backup and turn/brake and running lights. You'll probably NOT have backup.

Here's a hint, when you're running the wiring to the back, go ahead and run another lead (total of 4). Run that lead to a switch you add to the truck where you can mount it where you can reach it. I mounted a rear facing flood lamp under the bed facing rear-wards. If unloading or loading at night, it's handy to suddenly have a LOT of light to work with. It's also handy on the road at night, you can flip it on (make sure someone isn't behind you) and check out the load in the mirrors to be sure it's doing what its supposed to.

ATC

Here's a hint, when you're running the wiring to the back, go ahead and run another lead (total of 4). Run that lead to a switch you add to the truck where you can mount it where you can reach it. I mounted a rear facing flood lamp under the bed facing rear-wards. If unloading or loading at night, it's handy to suddenly have a LOT of light to work with. It's also handy on the road at night, you can flip it on (make sure someone isn't behind you) and check out the load in the mirrors to be sure it's doing what its supposed to.
Great idea. I was planning on something like that. I mounted a pair of cheap Wal*Mart fog lights under the rear bumper on my F150 that I owned. Great for backing up at night, or for loading my ATV, etc...

I also read on here (about a year or so ago) about someone running air lines to the rear or sides of the bed so they could use air tools while working on something. Might also be a potential idea...

rmgill

Well, in the case of a rear air line, you already have one in the form of the rear right gladhand on a deuce. Get yourself a glad hand, air line regulator and run it to a tool directly OR to an Airpig with a larger hose from the airpig to the larger tool for extra CFM surge capacity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks