• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce whines but not a wistler

maxpanic

I took the M35A2 on a nice off roading/camping trip last week. The Kids and my sister were impressed.

Anyhow, on the way home, I noticed that the truck seemed to have a whine to it not from the engine itself. Seems to be a whine when the electrical switch is activated, I am wondering if a fuel pump would make this noise and if so is it on it's way out of service? I did install the new spin on fuel adapters and filters about a month ago from JaTonka but I can't imagine new spin on fuel filters causing the fuel pump to work harder or make more noise, or could it? I don't mind the noise but I am pretty sure it is not normal. Please advise.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More details would be helpful. Do you hear the whine when the truck is sitting still, engine off, and you activate the accessory switch? If so, the in-tank fuel pump is a likely candidate. Is your truck equipped with a heater? The blower motor can become noisy, too. Does the sound only occur with the engine running and the vehicle in motion? Any particular gear or speed? Louder/less loud with speed or rpm change?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't comment on where your deuce is whining but I know my previous deuce has a D turbo and whined/whistled at 2300 rpm only. Any tweak off 2300 would render it inaudible. Due to the location it sounded like a cop was behind me and just turned on his lights for a split second. fat lady sings

dikwks

Mine has a hum when the master switch is on, engine off, air buzzer off. Sounds just like any other pump. Problem would be if there weren't a hum.

gungearz

It could be just the whine from the pump. Just turn the switch on and perform a walk around to listen by ear and keep us posted. That's a big truck for a little noise. We need more details about it.... Before we can give you a definate answer.... Thanks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Could be the bearings in the turbo going bad.......not a good deal if parts get sucked into the engine due to a catastropic failure. Take the air intake off the turbo and run it for a minute to make sure that's not the issue.

maxpanic

From what I can tell it only happens when the fuel tank is about 3/4 full or less and it is the in tank pump. anyone heard of this before? what is the procedure like to replace it? Is there a good source other than the usual suspects? I do have boyce equipment not to far away.

rrrr

Remove the fuse from the pump and see if you still get the noise. The fuse is located in the small metal cover on top of the tank.

Your truck should run without the pump if you have a good fuel line and prime.

maxpanic

Yep, looks like the "in fuel tank pump", it is getting worse now. It has become a sort of screech now. I have verified that it makes no noise with the fuse removed and makes a loud screech with the fuse installed. I was also surprised to find a jumper wire wrapped around the fuse bypassing it and perhaps causing the pump to burn out with excessive power? not sure about that but it is the next logical conclusion I think.

What advise from here?

rrrr

Pull the pump. Might need a simple cleaning or snug up. These pumps can start to come apart. Do a search. There are replacements either stock or an inline type.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace with original pump - you may find someone here on the site or turn to one of the usual vendors. They are high quality and priced accordingly.

Alternatively, install a 24V external lift pump (these are not submersible) - relatively cheap.

Another alternative are other 24V submersible pumps that are close to the original and can be adapted - if you search for in tank fuel pump you will find several threads dealing with those.

maxpanic

So, I finally got around to removing the pump. Looks like I have a hose clamp on the inside that is preventing me from pulling it out. I can't imagine how they got the thing in there with this hose clamp. it seems to be on the large line out and won't allow the pump to come out even if I lean it to either side or twist or turn. has anyone seen this type of problem? I hope I am missing something simple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks