• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce white smoke on startup...

FamousBCB

After more diag I agree completely truck is loosing its prime.

Check valve moves super free. Put 5 pounds of external air in tank and it open end shot fuel right out. pressure tested feed line and held pressure all night.

when I hooked up external air the tank would always make a noise of escaping pressure when I open the fuel filler. The truck never makes this noise when running if I open the tank.

I notice there is an air valve stem on the back of the compressor on the engine. Is this a diag port to charge up the system and check for leaks? I wonder if the tank isn’t getting any pressure. How long do your trucks hold air?

FamousBCB

Wanted to update this for the future for people who search - Truck still isn't completely fixed - Found a black algae substance in the fuel filter housing. When the truck was running nothing was coming out of the fuel filter bleeder on bottom so I poked it and it shot a bunch of junk out. I assumed this would only cause a no start (if bad enough I'm sure it will) but it also added some difficulty to my truck starting. I misspoke earlier - I was looking for a check ball, and then found the check valves inside the governor. Everything is functional, spotless and clean fuel system wise. The truck is stored in doors in a heated garage and has been maintained well. Truck does start significantly quicker now, but is still far from right. Will crank over in 41 degree weather after 15-20 seconds. Runs poorly with white smoke until warm.

Conclusion - At this point after googling "Cat 3116 white smoke on startup" after all the checks done here it's most likely the injector cups need reaming and/or the rack needs set as well. I need to verify the return line air bubbles and fuel pressure. Been searching on how to do this, but it looks like a lot of specialty tools are needed. Maybe some of that black algae appearing stuff is up in the injectors and will clean out over time? No idea.

Process done -
Checked tank for debris (none) and removed fuel pickup to make sure its free and clear. Diesel fuel is brand new
Installed new check valve on fuel tank pickup
M35A3 fuel tanks are not pressurized with air (that's a breather) and don't have an electric pump
Blew air through the fuel feed/return lines to make sure they're flowing easily
On the Governor - check feed and return check balls for free movement and trash
Checked all O rings for tears as well as the plastic regulator inside the return fitting on Gov.
Open Fuel filter housing bleeder and cleaned debris, algae, by fuel pressure shooting the junk out.

Truck does have significant air system leaks from age but never warning buzzers.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the black algae more like tar/ candy taffy? I used FuelOx for Asphaltenes on my MTV fuel tank with great results. Now just for my own curiosity sounds like you hooked up a pressure gage after the fuel pump / governor and did a running pressure check. With all the check valves would seem like after shut down the head should have some pressure left in it for a short time and the gage show it if the gage can read low enough. Not a Cat mechanic by any means but the principal of engines is just about all the same to me. Yea some difference between the 3116 in the Deuce and the FMYV's fuel feed set up and yes I have had both. Been a long time for the Deuce and still have the MTV if it really matters.

Last edited:

FamousBCB

Flordianson,

thanks for the reply. It was about a 10”splatter of a wet gooey algae mess on the floor. Pic attached. Truck starts up perfectly for hours after it warms up. I haven’t checked fuel pressure yet because I’m not sure how to fix it if it’s low or wrong. I did buy a sight glass to check for bubbles. Really hard to find any real diag info on these trucks. I’ve built engines and feel I could easily reem the cups - currently looking for some type of service manual.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the asphaltenes were sitting on the bottom of my tank. I reached in the bottom of tank and scooped some up with my finger and as said it is like tar very sticky. It can get into the whole fuel delivery system. Reading up on fuel pressures the fuel rail pressure has to come up pretty quick with cranking pressure in the rail and needs to be over 10 psi or injectors will miss fire. Maybe a pressure check might help to see if all check valves are sealing.

FamousBCB

that’s what’s a bit weird. My fuel system is spotless. Tank looks brand new. I think starter fluid was used too long because of the algae damaging a cup on the injector or more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks