• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Winch Stump Pulling

UPFINN

Check the fluid, it sounds like your fork is frozen on the inside. It maybe a good idea to take the winch apart to see what's in there. After you take it apart, you won't want to use the winch to pull stumps out. It is stout but the main gear inside is a light metal, I had a winch where the main gear completely broke apart. Just my 2 cents. The lever pushes a fork over that side of the drum to engage the winch, the spring lever just keeps the drum from rotating when the lever is disengaged. It doesn't have anything to do with the activation of engaging the lever.
Plan is to check the fluid when I get my 3/8 breaker bar adapter. Fluid plugs are stuck shut, and they are smaller than the 1/2 inch square drive plugs on the diffs and trans. Looking at the TMs there are only a few parts on the clutch side. Looks easy enough if I need to rebuild. I should probably check the brake adjustment on the pto side also. It looks like I will have to lift the winch off the truck after unspooling it, right?

UPFINN

My 3/8 socket wrench fits the square perfectly.

Funny, Just was outside to measure it and plan my winch rebuild and I notice the lock tab had bent just enough to keep the drum clutch lever from moving. It works fine. Rookie mistake. :doh:

At least I did more research on the winch and a flush and change of fluids is still in order. Now I can focus on repainting, installing the heater, and removing the tires to check brakes and repack wheel bearings. Trying to debate between one of those $150 58:1 crank torque multipliers, or a geared lug wrench to make removing the budds easier. I have the basic issue tire iron, but it requires a massive cheater.

Tomorrow I should be able test the winch on the weakened stump along with pictures and video of what I'm up against. Might get my youtube back up. Also, I repaired the rips in the rubberized canvas and it looks awesome up over the troop seats.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer an earlier question, the truck pulls exactly the same with the winch as driving. Traction is the limiting factor, does not matter much if spinning or sliding. But sliding will at least bury in somewhat.

Never snatch something like a stump, and NEVER snatch with a chain or wire rope. When things move the keep moving...... If you really want to pull, use the snatch block, return to a front lift shackle, and tie the pintle to another tree or another truck. Then you can get more pull.

Jeepsinker

I never do snatch stumps, I do however use chain. Just wondering why the o.p. seems determined to use the winch over using a chain and pintle hitch. Using the winch is so much more work on top of what is already being done to get the stump out.

UPFINN

I never do snatch stumps, I do however use chain. Just wondering why the o.p. seems determined to use the winch over using a chain and pintle hitch. Using the winch is so much more work on top of what is already being done to get the stump out.
This is the first time I have used the winch and wanted to see what it was capable of. I also wanted to pull stumps in a controlled way to salvage them for woodwork. My conclusion is the winch works fine, works best for vehicle recovery, but will pull weakened stumps. It also takes two people to guide the cable back onto the drum after winching operations.

I will be using straps off the pintel hitch to pull stumps in the field when alone. I will likely only use the winch for skidding firewood to the road. Your allowed to collect firewood within 200ft of a road and the winch cable is the perfect length.

61sleepercab

Pulling with winch with truck not secured to some anchor will result in the easy to move item sliding first. I tied to 30" Red Oak log 20 ' with a single axle truck chained to a MF 165 tractor and dragged both truck and tractor to Log. We sunk grader blade of tractor as a dead man and then finally moved log and not truck.

Be careful of cable and gear flying when something slips off or breaks. Using a snatch block will divide pull on winch 50% and you will be less likely to tear up winch gears. Used International R162 with ancient Tulsa winch for years with no breakage for line pull and boom pole work. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks