• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wiring

gunner01

I would really like some advise on how to convert my deuce from 24 volt to 12 volt at the cab and rear of truck. I would like to add a C.B. when driving, and I also pull a new 30` flatbed trailer wired with an R.V. seven plug... any help will be great.

P.S. I forgot to tell you it is a diesel
1974 American General
4318 miles
hardtop

devilman96

First consider swapping your trailer light bulbs out to 24V... its MUCH easier than doing the trailer relays (stop, turn LH, turn RH, marker lights)!!!

One of 4 things for 12V...

Change the whole truck over to 12V... Rewind starter, alt, change bulbs, horn solenoid, etc... plus your accessories...
Down falls... $, time, technical, starting resistance...
Gains... More common, simple for accessories...

Add a 24V charging system... Alt, wiring, relays, battery... Plus your accessories.
Down falls... time, technical, 12/24 cross over relays...
Gains... Truck system stays the same, full 12V power and reserve, if wired right it works seamlessly with a key switch, Acc, Run, Start...

Add a 24v to 12v inverter... Inverter, relay or switch, or manual disconnect... Plus your accessories.
Down falls... technical, no memory power, and or no power unless ign is on, and or dead batteries, limited amperage (trailer lights could be a problem) plus a few others I am forgetting (done this once... didn't care for the aggravation and found an alt just as much work after installing the relays to get the inverter to turn on and off with the key switch...
Gains... ya get 12V, kinda

Dual voltage regulator... I don't know enough to comment fully and I don't know for sure if anyone is using one in a Deuce... wiring, battery, etc???... I think the output amperage is only 25amp and would not support trailer lighting but radio, cell phone, CB, etc would be ok...

Personally I went with adding the 12V alternator... I wanted it to function as seamlessly as possible and retain the 24V system for the truck and have the 12V reserve power for jumping, inverters for 120V, etc plus have a normal trailer outlet to haul any trailer I needed... Its not a one day job but it seemed to be the least failure prone of the bunch... Not to mention... If I loose my 12 my truck still runs... If my 24V goes dead I can still jump myself (12 will usually do it).

Also please pull up your profile and add your location to your signature so it shows at the bottom of your post... Its the only requiment we have for posting in the forums so that people know where your from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks