• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with 6v92T Detroit and transmission.....????

rustystud

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've missed the sound of a two stroke after I sold my gama goat. Can't say I'd want to drive one everywhere. But it'd be fun to have another one.

Carlo

Don't get me wrong. I love a Detroit but they lack off the line low end. The turbo dumping into the super charger eliminates the low end lag. I started out with 671's then 8v71's and I thought they were great but the first time I ran a 6v92 I thought it was out of the world!

iatractor

Sorry if you took offense at my attempt at humor. Detroits are by far the most divisive of diesel engines. People either love them or hate them with a passion. I myself am indifferent to them. Drove several trucks with them and like I said, had to be pissed off to make it perform. They have lots of good points too. Used to be (don't know if its the case anymore) but they were inexpensive to buy and operate, and took lots of abuse. Dump fuel and oil in them and they would run. Not as finiky as other diesels and there was a point in time that they powered a large portion of trucks,heavy equipment, and military vehicles of all types used them in this country. I do like the sound they make, which is unique. If you have the engine, time, and skills to stick one in a deuce, go for it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I myself have a love/hate relationship with Detroits.

I hate them because they are loud, leak oil everywhere, and have no low end torque (I don't care what the spec sheet says, I've driven plenty of them). I do have several pieces of equipment with Detroits in them though and they do seem to be fairly trouble free so I can't really complain. You just keep the oil changed and fuel in it and they seem to run forever. They do also have sort of a unique factor to them also being a 2-stroke diesel.

The main thing is don't lug them and don't let them overheat. If you ever let the coolant temp get much over 220deg, You can usually plan on some costly repairs.

As for a trans, I'd go with a 9 speed or a 8LL. I never did really care for the 10 speeds because they had such a high first gear.

Dipstick

I rebuilt a number of Gray Marines (Detroit 6-71s) while in the Navy. I also used to drive a single axle White tractor with a 10sp. Road Ranger pulling tank trailers. Detroits are easy to work on. I love the sound. With the the Deuces 6.72 axle ratio the relatively tall low would probably be adequate. Eaton/Fuller makes many different 10sp. Road Rangers transmissions with different torque ratings and gear ratios. I'd love to get one behind my multi.
I wonder what the overall case length would be and if they have one with an input shaft that would match the Spicer's?

Jeepsinker

Why not use an Allison MT 654 out of a 900 series 5 ton? It's good for upwards of 60mph and should hold up to a Detroit just fine. They are all manual as well. 5 speed.

Ryan123

Why not use an Allison MT 654 out of a 900 series 5 ton? It's good for upwards of 60mph and should hold up to a Detroit just fine. They are all manual as well. 5 speed.

That has been mentioned already and they do NOT have an overdrive gear so it would be a slow go. still looking into a double over 13 speed.

Jeepsinker

There are plenty of guys here that run five tons with that trans, 14.00 tires, and only run around 2300 rpm at 70 mph. This includes me. No reason at all it shouldn't work for you unless you just want to do everything the hard way. It is of course your truck... I mean, you were originally talking about good hill climbing ability with decent top end. This would give you both. There are a bunch of different ways to reach the same end here, but these Allison's are cheap, plentiful, and easy to work with for your application.

Ryan123

There are plenty of guys here that run five tons with that trans, 14.00 tires, and only run around 2300 rpm at 70 mph. This includes me. No reason at all it shouldn't work for you unless you just want to do everything the hard way. It is of course your truck... I mean, you were originally talking about good hill climbing ability with decent top end. This would give you both. There are a bunch of different ways to reach the same end here, but these Allison's are cheap, plentiful, and easy to work with for your application.

Well mine is not a 5 ton it's an m35a2 what are your axle ratios because according to my calculations I would get 41 mph at 2300 rpm with your transmission so I'm not doing anything the hard way. The duece is geared at 6.72:1 and with a 10.555 foot rolling circumference at 2300 rpm that's 41 mph....and if I recall correct that trans cannot handle to power of a 6v92 turbo. It is not rated for it.

Jeepsinker

I know it's going in a deuce not a 5 ton, I have both and admittedly I don't know the axle ratio in the 5 ton axles, i do however believe that it would hold up just fine to the higher power engine in a truck that only weighs half as much. The axle ratios would have to be vastly different for only a few inches in tire height to make 30 mph difference in top speed. I'm not trying to be a d**k, just surmising in an effort to help. Nobody thinks of everything on their own, except maybe Gringeltaube.

Ryan123

I know it's going in a deuce not a 5 ton, I have both and admittedly I don't know the axle ratio in the 5 ton axles, i do however believe that it would hold up just fine to the higher power engine in a truck that only weighs half as much. The axle ratios would have to be vastly different for only a few inches in tire height to make 30 mph difference in top speed. I'm not trying to be a d**k, just surmising in an effort to help. Nobody thinks of everything on their own, except maybe Gringeltaube.

well I have done the math man it won't work out. I do appreciate the input!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939 series have a axle ratio of 6.44 to 1 , not far off from the 6.72 to 1 in a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks