• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce with super singles/off road?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MTA show is April 17 and 18. It is a great show. ALOT of vehicles from all era's to check out.
The show is at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in Augusta. Definately worth the trip up north.

Josh

If thats Glamis(which I think it is). When I was there in 2002 for Thanksgiving. Dominos Pizza was there with about 10 M35A2s and M109s with pizza ovens driving all over the dunes. Middle of the desert, you could order a pizza, and it would be delivered. I cant remember any of them getting stuck, but they avoided the big hills and what not.

attackone

First off hello everybody. I think CGAH04 When you get your deuce everyone here should get together for a little convoy on the beach. I got mine back in October and love it don't wait for the refund must have it NOW. I was going to try it in the spring. Maybe a little extra support would be better than a large tow bill.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Randy on about everything here. I prefer the NDT tires but they only made one float type that I know of and that is on the M656/757 family. If they made a 14.5 float in NDT I'd run those on the nose and dualed 1100 on the rear. Since I can't get a tire like that, I'm working towards getting -A3 rubber for the front and dual 1100 XLs in the rear. Not the first to come up with this but it's a pretty darned appealing combo to me.

greenjeepster

First off hello everybody. I think CGAH04 When you get your deuce everyone here should get together for a little convoy on the beach. I got mine back in October and love it don't wait for the refund must have it NOW. I was going to try it in the spring. Maybe a little extra support would be better than a large tow bill.
What does the permit cost now days?

Never mind; I found it. 195.00 per year.

It says 4 wheel drives only. Wonder if they will exclude a 6x6?

Last edited:

number9

I agree with Randy on about everything here. I prefer the NDT tires but they only made one float type that I know of and that is on the M656/757 family. If they made a 14.5 float in NDT I'd run those on the nose and dualed 1100 on the rear. Since I can't get a tire like that, I'm working towards getting -A3 rubber for the front and dual 1100 XLs in the rear. Not the first to come up with this but it's a pretty darned appealing combo to me.
I like that setup too. I've also wondered how the reverse would look. Say 11.00R on the steers on the riveted wheels with the centers flipped and a set of HEMMIT wheels on the rear with 14.5R's on them - wheels setup for stock hub location so they still have the dish facing out.

greenjeepster

You will have to use care that the tire radius are the same or you will screw up your dif and t-case because the gears will not mesh properly. If the fronts are a 42 inch radius and the rears are bigger or smaller you will have problems.

cgah04

CG: are you going to outfit the truck with surf fishing equipment? That would be a mod not preformed for the enjoyment of the forum before [thumbzup]
of course you have to in order to drive on the beach. one pole per person and a bunch of recovery equipment. shovels tow chains etc..

maybe a nice rod rack mounted in the front like i got on my f150 haha.

ok i went down to the front gate today and asked about gettin a pass for a deuce and half.. i didnt quite say its a 6x6 but did mention that its an old military truck and its big. they said not a problem as long as it has the proper equipment four wheel drive and registered and insursed and legal to drive on the street.. so game on..

greenjeepster

of course you have to in order to drive on the beach. one pole per person and a bunch of recovery equipment. shovels tow chains etc..

maybe a nice rod rack mounted in the front like i got on my f150 haha.

ok i went down to the front gate today and asked about gettin a pass for a deuce and half.. i didnt quite say its a 6x6 but did mention that its an old military truck and its big. they said not a problem as long as it has the proper equipment four wheel drive and registered and insursed and legal to drive on the street.. so game on..
So the next question will be are you going to go chrome or OD Green on the rod racks:lol:

I think it needs a chromed out safari rack with rod holder and a beach umbrellarofl

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Randy on about everything here. I prefer the NDT tires but they only made one float type that I know of and that is on the M656/757 family...
Looks like you have been reading my posts Kenny. :)

Yes, the m656 (xm757 and xm791) trucks had tires especially designed for them, tubeless, low profile (70% aspect ratio), low pressure NDCC's. The military designation was 16-20, but are in reality 16/70-20 (or 16/70R20 for the radials, which came later). There were also some radials made in this size, but from what I understand, not very successful.
The bias plies can be aired down to 10 psi and driven all day long off-road, including on side slopes. Compare 20 psi for radials, at least according to the TMs (and highway pressure on side slopes).

Images below show tracks in fresh 8 to 10 inches of snow, a full 16 inches wide at 10 psi. My own foot prints were deeper and the truck had no problem on level ground, even climbed an incline. Slid sideways on a near 24% side slope , though...
These trucks were some of the original "super singles", designed in the mid sixties.
Edit: Expanded the description to aid the search fucnction...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks