• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with Unimog Tires ???

tlib

I am thinking about putting Unimog tires on my Bodded Deuce.
Continetial makes a great tire the MPT81.
I was wondering if anybody has ever used these tires before either
on a Deuce or elsewhere ?
My application is strickly road use, no off road. My truck is becoming more
of a daily driver. Heck, i am using it in my business too !
Thoughts, results,feedback all Welcomed !!
Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

April 13th, 2010.

The German Army S404's used a Uniroyal 10.5R20 MPT load range "D" that has some excellent off road characteristics. Unfortunately it is like a landscape tire on a farm tractor, untill it wears the corners off the blocks you can feel every one of them hitting the road...
My Unimog could do 60 MPH briefly with the Swiss grooved 10.5X20 NDT's, but I have never been able to pull these above 55 mph due to the weight with the Swiss S404.114 they are currently mounted on....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan[thumbzup]

TedG

I use Conti MPT80 (14.5x20)on my 406. Very nice! I strickly use it off road. They are radial, tubeless, regroovable, and have great traction. The MPT81 (slightly different trad pattern, google mpt81) seem to better for highway but since they are mogs, the use them offroad also, lol. They are "quieter" according to other moggers.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Excellent choice as Deuce-shoes, IMO! (not sure for a bodded one...:))
A have a set of 365/80R20 MPT81 still sitting in the dark attic waiting for the next project. Two other trucks already have the 14.5R20 MPT80. (and the first set of these lasted min. 40K miles on/off road!

The only thing is, for the 81-contis you have to use MPT wheels since these tires come with an additional protective lip on the outside of the bead. Not so the older design MPT80s.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

tlib

Is there a better recommended tire for a strictly used deuce on the road ?
I have 4.9 diffs with lock outs and she runs smooth !!
Now just need the right tires !!! All recommendations needed !
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks