• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce won't MOVE.

ferb444

I have had my 1968 M35A2 for about 2 years. roughly 30000 miles, and around 900 hours on the gauges. Recently i packed about 2 ton of rocks in the bed and took them to a friends house....never made it. The truck will move, but you really have to step on the throttle to get it going. never did this before. very similar to this users post, that i read, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/6...ck-power-black-smoke-higher-rpm-sluggish.html his solution was an oil change.... don't believe it... but his description is sluggish, i stopped driving and let it sit for 2 days, then the land owner told me to move it. so i did, made it about 5 miles and now the truck will not move any further. Give it throttle, won't go, 1st gear, reverse, high, low. won't move. seams like the drive shaft won't spin either, front axel or rear axel engaged. i can't tell cause i'm in the truck.... it smelled a little when driving but i figured it was just the massive throttle i gave it. The Brakes aren't stuck, but the smell seems to be maybe the clutch. i can put it in gear and let the clutch all the way out and it seems like it won't catch...any ideas or solutions would be great! thanks guys.

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if your talking about the plug that i think you are....nothing is missing. that hole is suposed to be there to drain out water.

Flyingvan911

Can you get the rpm up or does the engine bog down when you let the clutch out? If it bogs down, try disconnecting the rear drive shaft and engage the front axle. See what happens. It's a long shot but you never know.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had several trucks that the parking brake would stick (bad cable).

stumps

It could be an oiled up clutch, but I think it is more likely that your brakes are applied. There is a failure mode on the airpacks where the air valve leaks and applies the brakes fully. Is your brake pedal really hard?

-Chuck

k4vem4n

I would agree, check your clutch I had a similar problem earlier this year. Either you're is leaking oil into the clutch or its just plain worn out. Hauling heavy loads would help wearing it thin.
I'd smell the fording plug hole, if you toasted the clutch you should be able to smell it.

mightymanx

clutch out and engine revs with the throttle but truck barley or does not move is the Clutch

clutch out engine bogs when throttle is applied that is a stuck/bound drivetrain. look for brakes gears frozen axles all that stuff.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if his airpack is bad, causing the brakes to pressurize.(or the master cyl plugged or out of adjustment)

I suggest you open one bleeder at the rear wheels and see if it squirts out under pressure.

A better description of your problem might help, too.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if his airpack is bad, causing the brakes to pressurize.(or the master cyl plugged or out of adjustment)

I suggest you open one bleeder at the rear wheels and see if it squirts out under pressure.

A better description of your problem might help, too.
I had this issue once. it really smokes the breaks...you should know it's happening. very hard pedal and burnt smelling brakes. again, lots of smoke coming from the brake drums.

Whitey

It's def the clutch or brakes dragging. Try bleeding to see if your brakes are actually getting pressure like Doghead said. Also if you're able to move a little bit when they're dragging they will cause heat. A laser thermometer on the brake drums will let you know if there's a temp difference between the six drums. Also, if it's the clutch you would def be able to smell it. Sniff it out. Best of luck.

ferb444

Thanks for the suggestions.... i edited my original post before i read you responses, and changed the transmission drian plug, relized it was for drainage of water, and know now that incase you go into water you can put a plug in. I agree with the clutch scenario, the pedal moves but it doesn't feel like it is catching anything. do i have to drop the whole tranny to replace or will the access panel that is about 6 inches square allow me in? How heavy is the tranny? I really don't think it is the brakes being stuck, the E Brake is a POS cause i really have to yank on it to keep the truck stopped, wheel chalks are a must...lol. I left the truck on a slight downhill and it coasts forward, if the brakes are stuck, it shouldn't move huh? like all the help though, thanks again... more to follow.

Last edited:

jwaller

Thanks for the suggestions.... i edited my original post before i read you responses, and changed the transmission drian plug, relized it was for drainage of water, and know now that incase you go into water you can put a plug in. I agree with the clutch scenario, the pedal moves but it doesn't feel like it is catching anything. do i have to drop the whole tranny to replace or will the access panel that is about 6 inches square allow me in? How heavy is the tranny?
trans has to come out. there are 100's of pics of others on here doing the job. should take about 3hrs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks