• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce wont run unless foot on the throttle

jwells1993

hey guys took my deuce out sunday to get some shelves that wouldnt fit in my daily so i got er out let er run for a little while due to it being middle of winter, the trip was only about 10 minutes one way and then back truck ran fine on the way over (although i think theirs moisture in the air lines which made my brakes a little sticky) i shut it off and loaded up got back in started up fine and took off again made it back home and i pulled up to the barn and it died and now it wont run without my foot on the throttle, now ive read up a little bit on the fuel shutoff rod sticking, but my question is would it happen at the end of a run seems to me the issue would have shown itself as soon as i turned the fuel back on not 10 minutes later after driving back home, also do you guys have any recommendations as to what i can do as far as keeping moisture from freezing in my airlines? thanks for the input guys

jwells1993

Do you drain your air tanks daily , like your suppose to do ?
When was the last fuel filter change ?

I wouldn’t say daily due to it being at my other property but when I drive it yes quite often and not sure on the filters somewhere s in the last 5k po did them right before I bought truck

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn’t say daily due to it being at my other property but when I drive it yes quite often and not sure on the filters somewhere s in the last 5k po did them right before I bought truck
Do you drain the primary fuel filter ? that is also on the list of daily PM's in the -10 tm .

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself replace all three filters. Double check fuel control assembly unit for free movement. Then check pressures at the bleed screw. 30 psi minimum at idle 60 psi minimum at high idle. Some trucks have alcohol wiffers. Myself up grade and add and air dryer.

jwells1993

Myself replace all three filters. Double check fuel control assembly unit for free movement. Then check pressures at the bleed screw. 30 psi minimum at idle 60 psi minimum at high idle. Some trucks have alcohol wiffers. Myself up grade and add and air dryer.
Ok thank you for the input I believe the truck has an air dryer but not 100% sure

FloridaAKM

The M35 series of trucks do not come with an air dryer from the manufacturer. Some one may have added a unit to your truck, but I doubt it unless it is an A3! The moisture just condenses in the two tanks under the truck & you bleed them daily as with the rest of the PM's.

jwells1993

The M35 series of trucks do not come with an air dryer from the manufacturer. Some one may have added a unit to your truck, but I doubt it unless it is an A3! The moisture just condenses in the two tanks under the truck & you bleed them daily as with the rest of the PM's.
Ok thanks

jwells1993

Welp guys Ive changed the filters they were clean some gunk in the bottom of the cans but not too bad fuel pumps still pumping fuel fuel shut off is still moving free I can get it to run with my foot on the throttle but it still won’t start and run on its own only thing I’ve done to the truck before my issues was bypassed the fdc and changed the oil probably a month before the issues started If I run the truck off the foot pedal and it gets down to the 5-6 hundred rpm it runs shitty or dies it has gotten better than it was before but still not sure what check next

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about setting the idle to 700-750 (where it should be, so it does not shake everything to bits) and then re-evaluating whether it starts and runs? It may not like the low rpm. For test purposes you can simply use the hand throttle and click it up to the desired rpm.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since your FDC is bypassed all fuel control is now adjusted by way of the main fuel control or the twin nuts. Myself when adjusting the twin nuts is use a black magic marker on one of the flats so I know how far or how many turns I have adjusted it. If you idle screw has not helped with controlling the idle problem then you can try and increase the main fuel control / twin nuts up some . Just do not twist the stud or it will break very easy.

jwells1993

How about setting the idle to 700-750 (where it should be, so it does not shake everything to bits) and then re-evaluating whether it starts and runs? It may not like the low rpm. For test purposes you can simply use the hand throttle and click it up to the desired rpm.
I’ve attempted to turn the idle up and it won’t hold a idle whatsoever I can get it to stay running with the hand throttle at about 12-1300 and it acts like it wants to start on its own like that but I still have to get it with the foot pedal I put almost a turn -turn and a half into the idle screw with no change I’d gladly turn idle up but I can’t adjust idle when I cant get it to idle

Last edited:

jwells1993

Is their a thing as too much fuel though? Cause I know previous owner turned the fuel up and now that I’ve done the fdc bypass could it be getting too much fuel? It’s just got me stumped cause I did that a month or 2 ago I’ve used truck here and there with no issues then one day I pull back in to my driveway and it cuts out I feel like my issue would have showed itself right after I did the bypass than a month or 2 later

Last edited:

jwells1993

Since your FDC is bypassed all fuel control is now adjusted by way of the main fuel control or the twin nuts. Myself when adjusting the twin nuts is use a black magic marker on one of the flats so I know how far or how many turns I have adjusted it. If you idle screw has not helped with controlling the idle problem then you can try and increase the main fuel control / twin nuts up some . Just do not twist the stud or it will break very easy.
Is their a thing as too much fuel though? Cause I know previous owner turned the fuel up and now that I’ve done the fdc bypass could it be getting too much fuel? It’s just got me stumped cause I did that a month or 2 ago I’ve used truck here and there with no issues then one day I pull back in to my driveway and it cuts out I feel like my issue would have showed itself right after I did the bypass than a month or 2 later

dmetalmiki

Just to clarify, The button and clip are in the hydraulic head. (At the bottom of),
It is not a big job to rectify.
You might care to have look at my recent post.
"Deuces fixed and a big thank you".

jwells1993

Just to clarify, The button and clip are in the hydraulic head. (At the bottom of),
It is not a big job to rectify.
You might care to have look at my recent post.
"Deuces fixed and a big thank you".
Not gonna lie everything I’ve searched has came to this issue but I haven’t really found certain symptoms that’s sent me to this issue but it’s definitely been a thing in my mind especially since it happened all of a sudden and not slowly became an issue

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks