• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce wont run unless foot on the throttle

Katavic918

After I bypassed fdc on my last deuce, I turned the the fuel down too much and it got to a point where it wouldn't start or idle without giving throttle even when warmed up. Turned it up a few flats and it worked fine. Make sure you install a pyrometer now or soon after you start messing with the fuel adjustment. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense that it would be an adjustment since it just happened a couple months after you made changes to the system. But Its worth a try and you can always go back if it doesn't help.

dmetalmiki

I’ll have to give that a check it’s got a 24v in line pump that seems to push quite a bit of fuel but at the moment I don’t have an idea about psi
Remember, Most deuces will run Without the in tank pump.
Most 5 tons Will Not.
It (The pump). is usually only require after a filter change.
In fact, All my deuces have a switch to turn off the in tank pump once the truck starts and runs. Saving uneccassery wear and tear.
'Tiz the dreaded clip fell off!, Trust me....(Or..not)aua
(And the 3 trucks we have bypassed the fuel density compensator on, We, (I), did nothing with the fuel settings.
Just use a LITTLE less of your booteez! when driving!.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what PSI is your fuel pressure at idle? without that info, everything is just a guess.
Pressures are a good thing to check when there is a performance problem . Thing is a Deuce will idle with the pressure relief valve wide open as it has been proven.
There is another way to check if the main fuel control is set to low .
You need a helper to hit the starter button or a remote starter switch. Remove the shut down cover and you will see the fuel control assembly and if it is free should look like the 7 o'clock position with engine off. Have you helper hit the start button when your ready and you take control of the fuel control. It will want to try and return to idle or about the 4 o'clock position. With you finger on the fuel control assembly try to keep the idle up and keep lowering it and see if you can get it all the way down to correct idle speed. If you can when you do let go of the fuel control assembly it should shut down like it has been doing. If this works then it means you need to adjust the main fuel one flat at a time till it will idle. That is why I say you mark one flat with paint or magic marker and you go up one at a time. If the problem does not go away then you can still return the main fuel right to where it was before you started. Also you do not have to tighten the jam nut every time you make adjustments only when done with the fuel adjustments. As said be care full you must not let the stud move when loosing or tightening the jam nut as the stud does not take much to snap off. Then your real troubles will start.

Last edited:

jwells1993

Pressures are a good thing to check when there is a performance problem . Thing is a Deuce will idle with the pressure relief valve wide open as it has been proven.
There is another way to check if the main fuel control is set to low .
You need a helper to hit the starter button or a remote starter switch. Remove the shut down cover and you will see the fuel control assembly and if it is free should look like the 7 o'clock position with engine off. Have you helper hit the start button when your ready and you take control of the fuel control. It will want to try and return to idle or about the 4 o'clock position. With you finger on the fuel control assembly try to keep the idle up and keep lowering it and see if you can get it all the way down to correct idle speed. If you can when you do let go of the fuel control assembly it should shut down like it has been doing. If this works then it means you need to adjust the main fuel one flat at a time till it will idle. That is why I say you mark one flat with paint or magic marker and you go up one at a time. If the problem does not go away then you can still return the main fuel right to where it was before you started. Also you do not have to tighten the jam nut every time you make adjustments only when done with the fuel adjustments. As said be care full you must not let the stud move when loosing or tightening the jam nut as the stud does not take much to snap off. Then your real troubles will start.
welp this makes me feel better cause I was playing with the shutoff and I could keep it running till I let it go and the truck would die I guess I will have to attempt screwing with the fuel adjustment and see what happens if not I guess im pulling the head been contemplating ordering one anyways for a backup

jwells1993

Remember, Most deuces will run Without the in tank pump.
Most 5 tons Will Not.
It (The pump). is usually only require after a filter change.
In fact, All my deuces have a switch to turn off the in tank pump once the truck starts and runs. Saving uneccassery wear and tear.
'Tiz the dreaded clip fell off!, Trust me....(Or..not)aua
(And the 3 trucks we have bypassed the fuel density compensator on, We, (I), did nothing with the fuel settings.
Just use a LITTLE less of your booteez! when driving!.
Gonna attempt turning up the fuel a wee bit more and see if that makes a difference if not the heads gettin it

jwells1993

After I bypassed fdc on my last deuce, I turned the the fuel down too much and it got to a point where it wouldn't start or idle without giving throttle even when warmed up. Turned it up a few flats and it worked fine. Make sure you install a pyrometer now or soon after you start messing with the fuel adjustment. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense that it would be an adjustment since it just happened a couple months after you made changes to the system. But Its worth a try and you can always go back if it doesn't help.
ill giver a try

jwells1993

I’ve read else where it doesn’t matter which head goes on which pump I’ve also read that they have to be the same head anybody got some insight on that and where can I find what hear my pump has?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks