• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wont start at gas station

nnero

After we bought some diesel at the gas station the truck would not start. It just turns over. We changed the fuel filters a week ago and bled them. The truck has for run well over an hour since then and was running fine. We opened up the bleeder valves on the secondary and final filters and there are no air bubbles coming out and we can hear the fuel pump. Maybe air got past the filters? The fuel shutoff lever and throttle seem to be operating properly as well. The tank was low on fuel (1/8 of tank) and we had to go down a steep hill to get the truck stop, but it was running smoothly when we shut it down. I did not have much luck with searching and we are in a hurry, sorry if this has been covered before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

jaxsof

FLV911, youre too quick! I was going that way as well. in my 813, if you pull the e-stop, you have to reset it manually under the hood.

digitaldust

if your tank was too low and you were on a hill.The pump may have sucked a large air pocket
you may need to crack a injector line to pass the air . Or you have a air bubble stuck in the filter housing. as the in tank pump is middle of the tank. When its low you can tilt the truck and " run out of fuel and prime"
making for a fun re-prime of the system.
BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE STARTING SPRAYS as damage may happen in the engine.

seano11

You said your at a truck stop correct? Maybe there is enough lot lizards around to push you home? Might save ya on the towing bill if ya can't get her started.. Like stated above I'd be cracking all the injectors to make sure there is no trapped air

machinist75

On mine the fuel Pump was spinning but whatever connected the spinning shaft to the impeller broke and I had to get a new pump. Disconnect the line right after the in tank fuel pump and turn on the power. Fuel should come out.

nnero

Well we got it going and its now safe at home. We knew it was pumping fuel and the engine shutoff was working properly. We opened up each injector line, cranked the engine, bled the filters again and it started. It had to sit overnight because the batteries got worn down. I was able to pull it off to the side with my truck and the owner was nice enough to not complain. I do suspect it was from the low fuel level in the tank and the steep grade we had to go down. The fuel line by the primary filter is a little damp. Is it possible that air could be sucked in there? This was the trucks first trip of the season and we just got it inspected yesterday, hopefully this is the only setback. Hopefully this thread can be informative to others. Thank you for the quick replies!

Flyingvan911

Yes, if a fuel line has a leak it is possible for air to get sucked in. It depends on how much of a leak as to how much air could enter. I suggest eliminating all leaks first. You might take it out on the highway for a while to be sure the bubbles are out.

Also, take the intank pump assembly out and see how close the pick up is to the bottom of the tank. Make sure the rubber hose doesn't have a hole in it.

saddamsnightmare

April 4th, 2012.

Ditto Ferro's comment above! It is not a good idea on a deuce to go much below 1/2 tank, as you might pull up 50 years of crud off the bottom of the tank where it's been in suspension since at least 25 years ago....:mad:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect your shut off lever(under the cover) may have been stuck.

Where in NY?

nnero

We dont usually let the tank get that low for the reasons described above. This was the trucks first time out this season and we wanted to take it for a good ride and decided to drive to the truckstop instead of fillling up a 5 gallon can first. The fuel stop lever seemed to be working correctly but we will double check it. Air bubbles came out when we opened the injector lines. After a couple cranks it started right up and it starts fine now. Doghead, we are in Franklin, near Oneonta. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=digitaldust;The pump may have sucked a large air pocket
you may need to crack a injector line to pass the air .

Please dont tell people they have to crack injectors on the Deuce as it is incorect and if there was air all that was needed was to bleed the finial fuel filters.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks